Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Low Beam Question

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 115672, Nov 24, 2008.

115672 guest

My driver side low beam light is working intermittently. Is this the sign of a failing bulb, or something else? I've disconnected/re-connected the wiring harness several times, thinking it was loose, but with inconsistent results.

If it is the bulb, how is it changed?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Randy
    2000 540i/6
    UUC lightweight flywheel/short shift kit

Solidjake guest

Hey, is the color of the bulb output purplish? If so that is a sign that the bulb is failing. Try switching bulbs around and see if it persists. If the bad bulb is the same color on the other side, it's that. If not, there is probably an ignitor or ballast problem with that side.

Removing the bulb is easy, remember NOT TO touch it. Unscrew the ignitor, then the black plastic around the bulb and pull out the bulb.

vvassallo guest

Good advice. With lighting you can always test with the other side bulbs. Intermittant functioning can be either broken filliments in the bulb bouncing around or cracks in the connectors that fit into the bulb backs. In this case, you need to do some soldering. Test the connectors with an ohm/voltage meter.