Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

loss of seal

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Chris Brown, Jan 15, 2012.

Chris Brown

I have never hurd of this -Anyone please advise, Our 2003 330xi has just over 60k miles and the tires have all gone flat at different times over the last two months. two separate tire shops have told us the same thing. Here the problem- the seal race on outer rim is corroding/shelling out and the tires thus lose seal with the wheel, they say that this is common, What the hey! I think wheels should out last the car barring abuse. Is there an actual fix for this short of forking out for new wheels?
    I recently had to pay to have my mini re-wired under the hood (not cheap! car is at under 30k miles) and not on warrantee. and now this with the xi's wheels, I have to question some quality issues here. Gerrrr
    Thanks for any info you may provide.

cbinspok

BMWCCA1

I've never heard of it either. Where do you live and how much salt to they pour on your roads?

Pyewacket1

Those were exactly my thoughts.

Sounds like some serious corrosion is going on with these vehicles.

Chris Brown

Well we purchased the car with 54k, So not sure of its history but locally the salts used in winter are quite minimal and the exposure is very minimal as my wife drives only 3 miles to work. I appreciate you letting me vent a bit. I am wondering is there a surface reconditioning that could be done to the rims? I would like to avoid just getting new ones. I haven't heard of this till now and would like the most efficient way to reliable wheels / tires. so far all 4 tires are holding air with the cleaning and re-inflation. But it is disconcerting to wonder weather you will have air in your tires on weekend errands etc.
    Thanks chinspok Spokane wa

Pyewacket1

Certainly, any decent wheel/rim repair shop can inspect your wheels and give you an opinion. My guess, without seeing the wheels is that it wouldn't be that expensive.

This is in no way a common problem. Meanwhile, to avoid future surprises, I would attempt to find whatever history is available on this car. Perhaps your BMW dealer can provide you with a service history... At least, from a BMW provided service history perspective.

Who knows... You may not have the original wheels. Maybe they are cheap one-off rims, and the rest of the car isn't affected.

Chris Brown

Good Idea, Will run down the history w/ dealer perhaps stuff I don't wanna know-LoL
    No issues this week so far, maybe I can get over the winter hump and dig into them this spring. They are common bimmer rims.
    Tx