Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Looking for 82 or 83 White 320i

Discussion in 'E21 (1977-1983)' started by nmustafa, Aug 6, 2010.

nmustafa

Looking for a white 320i in good shape, willing to pay for low miles and good condition with minimal rust, preferrably a S package. I know its a needle in a hay stack so not looking to steal it, will pay market value. I'm located in Southern California (Huntington Beach). Call or text 714.553.9595 or email nmustafa@asgcos.com

bcweir

The forum does have a Wanted to Buy section

http://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=24

I am somewhat familiar with the E21's having owned one previously. Why the 1982 and 1983 models specifically, if I may ask? The 1980 and 1981 models were similar to the 1982 and 1983 models. One of the few differences is that the 1982 and 1983 models went to a two-piece 5-speed manual transmission casing, vs. the one piece five-speed casings that came standard on the 1980 and 1981 models.

Just curious, as widening your search to include the 1980 and 1981 models may increase your chances of finding what you're looking for.

Good luck!

nmustafa

Starting out with first preference. Probably never going to be of much real value but wanted to get the last couple of years of that model. Also, I don't believe 80' had the s package option. Regardless, if somebody had a clean 80 or 81, I would have to take a look since there just arent many out there.

bcweir

Information about the 320iS option

http://www.bmwe21.net/e21/us320i/

In 1981 the sporty 320iS was introduced. The same 1.8 litre engine, but with the following extra's for the ‘demanding driver':

· Front air dam

· 5,5x13" special cross spoke light alloy rims

· Sports suspension with increased diameter front stabilizer bar and the addition of a rear stabilizer bar

· Limited slip differential (25%)

· Dual operation manual sunroof

· Recaro sports seats

· Leather sport steering wheel and leather gear shift knob

· Deluxe tool kit

· Fog lights

· AM/FM stereo cassette radio

Because the E21 is such an old model, the price differences between such a small number of model years is likely going to have very negligible effect on the prices. Also, the 4-cylinder E21's were plentiful and relatively cheap. The iS isn't a separate model but an option package, but because so few were equipped, an iS model is certainly going to be worth more. The iS models had no modifications to the engine and had exactly the same engines, same power and torque levels as non-iS cars.

The E21's that are worth the most are going to be the six-cylinder models, the 320i/6 (with a 2.0L M20 120hp inline six) and the 323i (2.3L version of the M20 143hp inline six) and the Baur convertible. The six cylinder E21's were never officially imported into the USA, and thus, these are Euro-specification models. A few were federalized by grey market importers, but the majority of these were slipped in relatively intact. The Baur convertible is also a very rare, limited production E21. These are otherwise stock E21's that had special semi-conversions performed on their roofs.

I should also note that Alpina also made a very limited number of high-performance E21 models, including turbocharged 4 and 6 cylinder models, as well as a very rare Alpina B2.7 model that had a 2.7L M20 making 200 horsepower using an Alpina modified M20 (a friend of mine owns a Japanese specification of this model in Las Vegas NV).

I hope this information is helpful to you and good luck in your search.

glugo1001

Wow. A buddy of mine just bought the exact car you're looking for about a month or two ago! It is a white '81 or '82 (I think) 320iS in really nice shape. I think it has 115k miles on it. He flew to Denver from New Orleans to get it and drove it home! Good luck with your search, they are still out there!

SJAE30PLZ guest

I'm in the market for one almost identical to what you're searching for! I have a budget problem however- <4k.. (comedic I know- the only ones that come close to that are ones with mileage in excess of 200k) but just out of curiosity- are you in for a manual or automatic? Good luck in your hunt- they are fabulous cars!

RWP

They are out there. I see posts on other boards with real bargains. I'm driving 200 miles on Sunday to inspect a white 1980 with about 115k, with Bilsteins and bavauto springs, Enkei 15 inch wheels, and a Zender rear spoiler. Original paint in nice shape and by photos in superb shape. Have a deposit on it and hope to bring it home. Not a budget proposition however, over 6k but worth it if it's as presented after much discussion with owner.