Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Looking at buying a 2002 M5 but...

Discussion in 'E39 M5 (2000-2003)' started by Mbrother, Aug 8, 2009.

Mbrother guest

I have a few questions and I wanted to get some opinions here.
    - when I test drove the car the first time i used the brakes at high speeds (85 mph) to slow down fairly rapidly the brake pedal went close to the floor. The pad were just changed 3k miles ago (PO told me this). The fronts w/ Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics and the rears with Pagid Blues. The second and third brake I did not do at such high speeds (65 mph) and the brakes seem to work a bit better with less brake travel but it still seemed discomforting. I currently own a 98 M3/4 and that seem to have better braking (less pedal travel). Is there an issue here?

Thanks

EuroWerkz1

Braking performance

Of course this is impossible to diagnose from here but it sounds like they need to be bled properly. That and you can expect less dust with ceramic pads but also less performance and feel. I might suggest you make the sale contingent on a complete brake job with proper European replacement pads and a pedal and performance you are happy with,

CSBM5

As above but adding emphasis on the fact that YES there is obviously a problem with the brake system. The first step of course would be a proper bleeding which if air was ever introduced from the top side would include cycling the ABS valves also to ensure the system is air-free. From there the problem could go multiple ways. Have it checked out properly before even considering making an offer on the car (or driving it again ;) ).

Mbrother guest

Thanks to both of you. I will take your advice and investigate more before moving forward.

Regards!:)

Mbrother guest

Just to follow up, the car was sold to someone else so I wasn't able to much more research.

Thanks all for you assitance.

Regards