Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Looking at a 2005 X5 4.4 or a 2006 X3is pls help

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by suss1173, Nov 14, 2008.

suss1173

My 2001 540ia (sport) was sold and I am said she is gone, but my wife and I are expecting our first and she wants an SUV/ SAV :( .

My question is am I better off saving on fuel and getting the X3is, it would be a 2006 or would I be happier with fuel thirsty X5 4.4. Both trucks would have sport, and cold weather.

Please weigh in on anything I should be looking for on either vehicle
    Thanks,
    Michael S.

nweigen

I like my X-3

Hi Michael,

That's a big question. I can tell you that I have an 04 X-3 2.5 which I purchased new in 04 and I absolutely love it.

It is the perfect size, it is a great handling vehicle and fun to drive, I am presently getting a shade over 20 mpg in town on level S. Florida roads and about 26-28 on the highway.

The car is nimble and drives almost like a 3 series sedan and it is very comfortable on long drives from Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta with plenty of room for stuff.

I also have a 530i (07) and a fair comparison would be an example of comparing the 5 sedan to a 3 sedan. Many purists prefer the 3 over the 5. Myself, with future fuel costs looking to the upside I would pick the X-3 over the X-5 and actually the 06 X-3 has more cargo space than the E-53 X-5 (write to me and I will send you the article), it is very fast and responsive and I believe 06 has the N-52 engine and a 6-speed steptronic like my 5.

My advice, come to S.Florida and buy a nice clean Florida CPO X-3 that has not seen potholes or northern weather, my dealer has tons of them back from lease and they are dealing, also get one with the premium package as it has better seats but make sure the seats are in good shape.

Feel free to write if you have any questions. Hope I helped you,

Good luck,

Norm...

rlengyel

We traded in an Acura 2004 MDX suv for the 2007 X3 (now that the kids are grown and we don't need to lug hockey bags about). X3 is a lot smaller than an MDX and an X5. Make sure you drive both the X3 and X5. But the X3 is nimble, quick, responsive, fun economical, and carries enough for a small family. We weren't quite ready to give up on having an SUV yet. It is well appointed, drives like a sedan and not like an SUV. It was a great choice for us.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but in the NE there are dealers with very low mileage CPO X3's. 6 months ago we bought my wife's X3 decked out with all options (heated seats & steering wheel, Nav, comfort seats, tow hitch, added Sirius, 8K miles, $33K before trade). I didn't steal it, yet I wasn't taken. It's been a superb vehicle, especially in snow. mpg 20+ around town, 27 highway (in PA, where there are no flat roads; our mpg goes up 10-20% when we go south or west).

Good luck with your decision. With your options, you can't make a bad choice.

granthr

Get a first gen X5 4.6is or 4.8is!!!! :D But if you are concerned about fuel mileage then get a 5er wagon, about the same amount of space, if not more. I would go with an E39, 528i 5 speed/sport package!!! IMHO. :D