Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Location of Fuel Vapor Leak Detection Pump on 2008 BMW E92 M3

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by 106598, Mar 22, 2015.

12/2007 Production
    2 Door Coupe'

Getting emissions warning on dash telltale. 107,000 miles. Pump probably tired. Have new one but don't know where it's located.
    Thank You,
    John
    California

charlson89

If I recall correctly it is under a cover behind the right rear tire.

Charlson89,
    Thank You for the information! I assume the RR tire must be removed to access the charcoal canister assembly which the vapor detection pump is part of......
    John

Good news. Leak Detection Pump successfully changed out. The pump/charcoal canister is located behind the driver's side rear tire(left rear side of the car). Car was not raised in the air to replace the pump nor did I removed the tire. I laid on my back/side on some cardboard. The area of interest is between the outboard surface of the driver's side exhaust muffler and the trailing edge of the D/S rear wheel well(behind the wheel). Access was a little tight but by taking your time easily accomplished. The round rubber bushing from the old pump that goes into the charcoal canister will need to be reused if you do not have a new one(preferred). Mine had a sealer substance all around it, so I cleaned it up and put some fuel resistant sealer around my used rubber bushing and installed it with no problem. The rubber bushing slides onto the pump fitting at the bottom of the new pump and then you "stab"/slide into the charcoal canister....keeping in mind you must also line up the pump mounting thru holes with those already in the canister frame.....as you are installing the pump into the canister all at the same time. Make sure the mating surfaces where the pump mounting screws are is flat/flush prior to tightening down the screws. Use bar soap on the screw threads to make it easier to start them into the new pump but do not over tighten. The pump isn't going anywhere. This mechanical joining of the surfaces insures that the pump/bushing can not wiggle loose and cause leaking. Hand start all (3) of the Self Tapping Screws then slowly tighten them in alternating sequence until they are snug. Then replace the (2) x 10mm bolts that secure the canister to the mounting bracket. Job took about an hour. No error codes upon initial engine start up and I drove the car to work today(10 miles) and so far so good. No check engine light, no emissions icon, no increased emissions warning, no P0456 small leak detected messages thus far. I will need to drive the car around awhile to make sure everything is ok. I also put a new gas cap on at the very beginning of this trilogy.
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

charlson89

Congrats glad its fixed.

Ken.S.330

Thanks for the write-up!