Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

little bit of milky oil on the ground after winter hibernation

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by tjrinaldi, Mar 15, 2012.

tjrinaldi

Nice weather here in WI today...decided to change oil and hook up battery on the 3 after 4.5 months of sitting in the garage. Underneath, on the garage floor, there was a small amount of leaked oil. It was quite congealed, and I was concerned when I saw that it was a little whitish and milky. I wiped it up , and its consistency is also quite thick, not like typical 20W50 oil should be...

Upon draining the old oil and examining it, it appeared normal: black and not as thick. I did the oil change and started 'er up to run for about 20 min. Good news: great German engineering and she started right up without missing a beat. Bad news: a bit of oil started burning up from somewhere higher up on the engine.

What is the deal with the oil on the ground? Should I worry? Obviously something is leaking from the top end: valve cover gasket? head gasket? Any ideas? I drove the car to the office, about 20 miles....all oil is burnt off and no longer smells of it.