Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Lights above the vanity mirrors

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by htw9, Dec 17, 2008.

htw9

:confused:I'm looking to purchase a 2002 325Ci coupe from my local dealer. The car has two lights in the headliner directly above the vanity mirrors - but they don't work - at least I can't figure how they actual work since I can't find a switch and they don't seem to be pressure operated.
    Can anyone tell me how I can check to see if the bulbs are broken or if the unit itself is bad or the wiring has a problem?

Thanks

HTW

granthr

If I can remember correctly on my 328is the visor has to have the mirror slide all the way open, the visor has to be about 90 degrees to the ground (not all the up against the window), and what I can't remember is if the headlights need to be on or not. So try what I said with and without the headlights on. It is possible a fuse is blown or both lights are burned out.

GR

snikwad guest

Yes, they have to be folded down quite a bit, then slid open.
    Headlights do not have to be on.
    Iirc, the key doesn't even have to be in the ignition.

To check the bulb, use your nails, to pop the actual light assembly out, they're held in by a tab, kind of like your vanity plate lights.

Pop the bulb out and look for a broken filament.
    I've replaced mine with LEDs that are insanely bright.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

THAT'S what you are worried about?! Take the car to an independent BMW tech to get it checked out before you purchase it. You need to worry about way more than the visor lights.