Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Let's start talking / asking questions

Discussion in 'Tarheel Chapter' started by dooper, Nov 14, 2011.

dooper

There must be something going on we can discuss. Especially w/me being a new BMW owner. I'd like to get leads on good repair shops(BMW or independent) near Matthews for starters. And answer to what kind of interior do I have; black/pigskin style,

Slainte'

Tom

Attached Files:

MGarrison

Hey Tom - well, yes, in theory, there should be something going on to spur some discussion. Since you've just recently joined, a bit of recent history for you perhaps is in order; unbeknownst to you, these national message forums have been in a state of flux for awhile, and we're just one week into new forums from the most recent forum iteration. However, robust discussion(s) require input from more than just a few users, and it appears it will take some time to get users back to these forums, and participating.

About a year and a half ago or so (or more, maybe), the national office started the process of developing a new website, and a new message forum that for some reason or another was specified to be more integrated with the club's website. The national forums (vs. any message boards that any local chapter may have setup in conjunction with their local chapter website) had developed a relatively small number (compared to national club membership numbers) of regular, core participants with the previous club website and forums. More than enough folks to have enough input to generate a variety of regular discussions, but, compared to some of the other BMW-specific, not club-affiliated, general message boards, a much smaller number of registered users and regular participants.

Anyway, earlier this year, the new website was rolled out, with the new message forums - however, hardly anybody liked anything about the new forums for a whole variety of reasons, and most everyone bailed on participating much with those message forums, until a better solution could be implemented - which, some of us have been awaiting until just now, with this forum software coming online in the last week. In the meantime, the changeover from what we'd been using (VBulletin) pretty much wiped out anybody wanting to do anything with the forums. So, just now starting over again, we wait and see who comes back, (so far, darn few - but, it's early) and build a new base of participants from here forward.

So, if you're hoping for much in the way of local-chapter oriented discussions and info, the way it's historically been, and particularly at the moment, you'd be lucky IF somebody who was regularly participating on the boards happened to be in your chapter or even general area. So, for local info, even though this iteration of the forums has these message areas for each chapter, you stand a better chance of getting local-specific information by seeing what your local chapter contacts/website and/or message forums (assuming your chapter has setup a message forum) has to offer.

Wish I could offer some insight at to your car options, but don't have much for you there - since it's a recent model, you might try building your car on the BMWUSA.com website and see what you can find. Perhaps, if you enter your vin at the realoem.com website, it might offer some info for ya. Perhaps stop by a dealer and see if you can find an experienced sales rep who might know something?

dooper

MGarrison,
    Thanx much for your update on what's going on w/club and regional branch. I figured something had to be reason for little involvement, because there are many Bimmers running around NC/SC. I was a semi-active member of Swedespeed and they had some involvement with Volvo Club of America. Maybe something like what we're experiencing. Anyway, I'll ry the sites you referred to, and hope for more involvement.
    Slainte'