Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

leather seats

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 397188, Mar 27, 2008.

397188 guest

does anyone know if the leather seats in the new 3 series need special care?
    are they dyed or coated? what product is good for these seats ans what is not. Spoke to
    dealer and they seem to be very evasive about thwe subject

mjweimer

From the online research I have recently done it seems that the leather in BMW's has a protective top coating. The recommendations always lead to using a quality cleaner with a low pH and a high quality water based conditioner.

I went with the Leather Master line of products based upon their reputation in the furniture industry and the recommendations of some educated folks "in the business".

For an example of what they offer see:

http://www.topoftheline.com/leather-care-repair.html

I purchased the automotive leather care kit as a test since it contains a small amount of cleaner and conditioner. If the results are not to my liking I will not have wasted too much money and have a bunch of product taking up space in the garage.

Hope this helps.

Matt

M3Driver guest

Griot's Garage Leather Care and (for weekly use) Leather Spray. Good stuff; will not make leather shiny but leaves it with a matte finish. They are also major BMW guys and sponsors.

I've also had good results with the OEM BMW Leather Care Kit.

330indy1

+1 on the BMW

leather care kit. Smells great too!