Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

leaking valve valve cover, X-3 2.5i, 2004

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by nweigen, Dec 1, 2010.

nweigen

Slight oil leaking from the left side of the engine. A few drops of oil dripping onto exhaust manifold every 10-15 days.

Can I just tighten the valve cover or is this a sign of a failed gasket. Vehicle has 54,000. miles and is 7 years old.

Does anyone have any tips on doing this job, any comments, advice or discussion would be sincerely appreciated.

Norm...

floydarogers

This is a fairly typical problem - you need to R&R. There are a number of DIY's around the www, seems like a pretty easy job.

nweigen

Thanks Floyd, will visit w.w.w.

Norm...

lkchris

The gasket kit will include the cover perimeter gasket as well as gaskets for the spark plug wells.

IN ADDITION, you should replace the 15 rubber washers under the holddown nuts/metal washers.

nweigen

valve cover gasket changed

Thanks for you support, just changed my valve cover gasket and other related gaskets this evening along with the spark plugs.

As per your advice I searched the web for some direction and found a few good DIY sites.

I bought the parts from BMW of CHATTANOOGA and saved a bundle. They treated me very well, the parts came the next day and at a substancial discount.(mention code: RM640 from their ROUNDEL ad)

If there are any chickens out there thinking of doing this job, "just do it" it wasn't that hard just do your research and take your time.

Good luck,

Norm

bcweir

"Who you calling CHICKEN?" = Marty McFly, back to the Future Trilogy

I'll admit, staring at a 5.0L V12 was intimidating at first, but it's kind of like having Shaq and Yao Ming in your living room, relaxing and having a good time. After you get past these guys' size and realize they're not out to put you in a grave, it's pretty cool.

Five years later, I'm as comfortable crawling under the hood of my 750iL as I am in falling into bed.

floydarogers

So, you're saying that you sleep under your car? Wouldn't it be better in the back seat?;)

bcweir

You got me all wrong, pal!

I don't sleep on the floor -- there's no power adjustments, and I can't hear the car stereo from outside the vehicle.