Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

just to get things going...

Discussion in 'E24 M6 (1987-1998)' started by Eric Reed, Apr 9, 2008.

Eric Reed guest

Hello all. I've got an '85 M635 (as well as my wife's e39 528iT), as you can see in my avatar. It's only got about 70-something thousand miles on it and is in pretty good, unrestored condition. I have been going through the mechanical, electrical as needed (currently I need to rebuild the calipers. Got the parts; now I need the time). Before determining that the calipers needed rebuilding I was driving it around 3 day/week.

One of my dream cars since i was a teenager, and am very happy to now have one to call my own.

Take it easy,

Eric

BMWProps

Just to reply

Hello Erik,
    I have a similar tandem- 85 M635 euro & 03 E39 M5. Love them both. I bought my E24 from the original owner/importer and have enjoyed it for the last year. I too always wanted one since I first saw it. I have done rotor, struts, springs, short shift, exhaust & bushings, but stopped short of the calipers because I wanted a big brake kit- alas, no one makes one. Alcon says they will shortly, but who knows how long that is. Anyway, I bought the parts and now just have to get to it. I think I might take mine off the road and do the engine, interior and paint this year too- but time is a premium right now also.
    Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine- Andy

TeamStowell We love driving!

Add an E36 M3 to the mix and we are in the same boat... just picked up the Euro last month and have been going through it to give it the love and attention it needs. Great car - less than 75 K on it - but was not driven or serviced much in the last seven years. Going into the passenger side today to see why the windows don't want to go up. Enjoy!

Eric Reed guest

Hey, good to hear about some others out there.

Andy, sounds like you are in a very similar boat to me on our e24's. I have a little correspondence via email with the owner of Outlaw disk brakes who says he is working on 4 and 6-piston brake kits for our cars. Either he or one of his employees has an e24. Sounded like he was hoping to have something fairly soon (another month or 2). Check out there website to see what kind of parts they make currently. Don't think there is anything on the e24 on there now, though.

Email him and he will get back to you. Besides it may help motivate him if there are more people showing interest in the kits.

Steve, sounds like you have a nice collection. I'd take an M3 any day. My experience with the window motors has been that if they aren't used, they will stop working. If you take some time and get some electrical cleaner you may be able to bring it back to life. Good luck.

Take care,

Eric

TeamStowell We love driving!

Thanks for the advice Eric. I lucked out with the rear window... it was the switch that was bad. I haven't traced the front window's issue yet. The switch was bad, but a working one didn't get the window to move. I'll have to head into the door and see if there is any juice to the motor and go from there.

Good thing my neighbors have experience with electronics and electrical engineering.:D