Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Jacking my car!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by wretched, Mar 6, 2009.

wretched

I wasn't sure where this should go so I went with model specific makes sense right? I hope so... Any ways I have been hearing horror stories about jacking this car! I have heard do not jack on suspension points or body or aluminum what does this leave? I heard jack it on the plastic pads but hey will wear out... I also heard there is a panel to jack on but it bends over time and will need replacement. So my question is... HOW do I jack my car correctly? I was going to get rid of my run flats but if i can't jack it it without hurting it maybe I won't. Tell me I am over thinking this or tell me that the world will end if I jack it! I would like to remove my wheels and get some cleaning done! Also on a side not tire replacement = jacking do you guys go to discount tire type places? or the dealership? Do either know how to properly jack a E90? Thanks for reading my ramble I look forward to replies!

Damien

NASADeac

+1 -- Count me in on this as well. Like Damien, I have heard these same horror stories - some on these very boards. I really hate to be cornered into having to buy my tires and have them installed at the local dealership. If I get forced into that corner, I have purchased my last BMW. Many thanks for any information.

ericsmc83 guest

I've never had an issue jacking up my car at the plastic corner jack points.

I use this jack (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039), and it has a rubber insert on the jack plate so it won't wear out the plastic jack points. I've jacked my car up many, many, MANY times without any issues or visible wear.

If you're worried about wear on those points, BMW sells a jack adapter that actually fits into the slots. Or if you're a DIY'er, you can probably make something yourself that would fit.

Boondoggler guest

To the OP, you can go to your local sporting goods store, buy a standard rubber hockey puck. Bring it home, and measure the size of the plastic jack plate. Cut the hockey puck to fit (I used a hack saw) and then use any jack you wish. The hockey puck is approximately 1/8" thicker than plastic jack plate, so it works perfectly. I got the idea from the DIY section of the e90Post forum.

wretched

Thats a pretty good idea. Thanks for all for the tips but does everyone agree that jacking the car at those jack points will not hurt the car?

I have another one for you all! Where do you place your jack stands? what kind of pad do you use on that? If you raise just one side front or rear first? If your going for all four front or rear first? I really want to know what others are doing and how thanks all!

pseto

i use the L/R jacking points for the front of the car and use the rear diff to jack the entire back

wretched

I was told to never ever jack a independent rear car by the differential! Im not trying to suggest anything bad but thats just what I was told.