Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

jack stand placement for e30 sub frame removal

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by 02m3smg2b, Jun 25, 2010.

02m3smg2b guest

Ok decided to remove the , drive axles to drop the sub frame, just to be sure I did not over extend the cvjoints, guess I will take all the brake components off too to remove the parking brake cables at the wheen, as i heard folks had issues pulling the cables when disconnecting in the cabin..so now I am about to work on the trailing arms and sub frame..but WHAT IS THE BEST PLACE TO PUT THE JACK STANDS??? right nowI have it supported on the sub frame. I knew a relocation was forthcomming but thoiught it would be obvious...but it is not to me..what's the recomendation?
    Thanks!

MGarrison

I don't remember what I did exactly waaay back when, but - through the course of things over the years I had the opportunity to accumulate some thick pieces of sheet rubber - like, 1/2"-1" thick. I think I may have put the jack stands at the rear sides where you'd jack the car up with the trunk jack, and used the rubber to not crush the vertical rail. Those two spots are the most out of the way for what you're doing.

I think there's some box-frame section aft of the rear upper spring-perches, those might place the jack stands in the way.

YMMV, & exercise all due caution.

granthr

+1, the spot where the factory trunk jack goes is the best spot. Just follow MGarrision's advice and you should be fine.

az3579

And what if that spot is entirely rusted out and you can see into the trunk from the bottom, like mine? lol

rich235 guest

I keep a few Hockey pucks to use as juack pads. They will however tear up if the top and bottom surface is not relatively flat and protrusion free.

MGarrison

You might want to reconsider the hockey puck idea. I had a student at a driver's school a few years ago tell me she did the same thing, using a hockey puck for a jack pad; when the hockey puck broke on her jack and the car dropped that, ohhh, 1 or 2 inches, fortunately she had it jacked up enough that it only broke her toe, instead of say, amputating it, or otherwise mangling her foot/toes further.

And if you've ever had a broken toe, you know how much fun those are to deal with. She has since sworn off hockey pucks.

02m3smg2b guest

thanks!

Thanks all.
    Got er Down last night. No broken toes. Used the recommended spots and dropped the subframe, diff and trailing arms together, Removed the TA's after I had lowered it enough to reach the bolts, then rolled the rest out on the jack, sub bushing getting pressed in today, used the threaded rod homemade press to get out the TA bushings..now if I can just get it back in there with the TA's and diff attached! Also contemplating doing the diff bushing, have a new one to go in..but could probably do that fairly easily later on,