Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

It's going to be a long, long year...

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by Zeichen311, Jan 21, 2010.

Zeichen311

My beloved E46 is in the expert care of her doctors today, which means I have a squeaky-new(-ish) service loaner, which in turn has me thinking of my next BMW. I figure I had better start venting my distracted, unfaithful thoughts here, lest she read my mind and start breaking things out of spite.

I plan to order the next one in late spring, for Euro delivery in late summer, so I can have it back here by Thanksgiving and my next holiday-season trek to visit family beyond the Hudson.

So...about five months till ordering day...
    ...about eight months to delivery day...
    ...almost ten to re-delivery...
    ...and I started saving for the (massive) down-payment last summer.

I was doing fine until the calendar ticked over to read, "2010."

<sigh> It's going to be a very long year.

mgthompson

I ordered my ED 6 months in advance.

Zeichen311

That must have been an excruciating wait....

mgthompson

Yes it was. It also gave me time to change the order when the M-sport package came out. I wanted to pickup the car on my wife's birthday. The more in advance, the more likely I could get the date that I wanted. I also used frequent flyer miles for the tickets. Again, the more in advance, the more likely I could get the travel dates that I wanted.

Zeichen311

I'm glad you mentioned that. I hadn't occurred to me to check to be sure the Welt had open appointments on the day I arrive! :eek: I'll definitely double-check that with my CA.

I plan to book airfare and hotels in early March (6+ months out), so few worries there.

Brian A

Sometimes "wanting" is as much fun as "having". Enjoy.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Have I got a car for you!

I just got back from Lisbon a couple of days ago, where we drove the new 535i (on the old Estoril race track, no less). But we also got to drive BMW's latest only-for-the-Yanks cult special, the 335is.

This is the spiritual descendant of the E46 330i Performance Package (ZHP), and it is suh-wheeeet. While the rest of the 335i variants will switch to the N55 single twin-scroll turbomotor in March, the 335is-coupe and convertible only-keep the twin-turbo N54 engine (as does the Z435is).

Click here to see a brief item on the 335is. But I left out any mention of the exhaust; the Germans kept calling the Americans and saying, "Isn't it too loud?"

Nope. It's just bitchin'. Not that I would ever buy a car because of the way it sounds, but-well, yes, I guess I would! Oh, and they come with black exhaust tips, à la Dinan. Did I already say bitchin'? Way bitchin'!

:D :D :D

Zeichen311

Satch, my heart goes out to you, for the tribulations you must endure on behalf of the loyal membership. :)

I'd love to tell you whether this information was helpful to me but the specifics of my order must remain classified. Since I've been planning this for six months already, it began as a hedge against my desires or circumstances changing. Then it became a way to tweak a couple of friends who were determined to try to figure it out. Finally I opted to just clam up, to avoid having to remember which details I released to whom! So until I lay eyes on it at die Welt, I ain't sayin.' :D

az3579

Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze tell me there'll be a 4-door version...
    I would definitely buy one used (probably CPO) if this was the case... :eek:

wretched

What a wait! But I am sure you can do it! It will be worth it. I was going to ED until the new 335is was announced... Now I may just take delivery at the performance center or just at home! I want that car! When will it go on sale?

Oh there is a 4 door version of the is... The 4 door gets to keep there fog lights.

03BeastCharmer

You can do Euro Delivery & Performance Center Re-delivery. When I was there for a driving school, 2 people were doing just that.

Zeichen311

I know ... thought about it for about half a second, then decided against it. I don't expect to finish break-in before I leave Europe and a 700-mile highway slog is unappealing until I do. Plus, my CA has been waiting so long for this purchase (and I owe him so many favors) it would be unfair to exclude him from the fun. :)

Zeichen311

Six months to go...

I bought airline tickets and reserved hotels yesterday. One step closer! :D

Zeichen311

Finally!

Re-delivered early this evening, after a torrential rain- and windstorm that ended early enough to let most of the schmutz dry off the roads. Sunshine forecast for tomorrow and a shiny clean brand-new Bimmer...not bad for a Thursday. ;) Now all I have to do is re-learn all the iDrive tomfoolery I forgot in the past six weeks.

My garage reeks of New Car. I love it. :D:D:D

(For anyone awaiting a car through the port of Newark: Have patience. The port is snarled up something fierce for some reason. It took almost two weeks for my car to clear customs & USDA, which they tell me is not unusual of late. :confused:)

03BeastCharmer

Congrats. I hope to be in your same boat in a few months. I want to do a Euro Delivery this summer.