Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

It'll Be our First O-fest...

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2012' started by eblue540, Feb 19, 2012.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

I have been in the BMWCCA since 2002 and I've enjoyed events with my DelVal Chapter and have made several good friends since then. Looks like the stars are FINALLY aligning for this to be our first ever Octoberfest: Pretty easy drive from eastern PA, kids all out of the house, two bimmers to pick from to drive.

I have read the reports in Roundel of all the fun that everyone has with the people and the cars at these events. So many events each day. We love to road rally. Gymkhanna looks like fun. We are not yet track rats, but driver improvement would also be on our agenda too. Also be fun to convoy to the event via appropriate drivers roads.

What do you veterans suggest we noobs do to get the most out of the week?
    Dave Flogaus likes this.
    • Staff

steven s

I've been going to Ofest since '98. I used to do everything.
    DE, autocross, car control, rally, gymkhana, fun rally.
    Fun but exhausting. Then I'd only do a driving school if the track was interesting and the TSD Rally with my wife.
    Well now I have no time for any of that.

Don't feel like you need to do it all. Ofest is many things to many people.
    Some are there for the track, others autocross. But mostly to see friends you haven't seen for a year.
    First time and you won't know people? By the 2nd day, you know plenty of people.

On Monday we have a First Timer's Meeting. Nothing formal. Just what to expect.
    The meeting started off as an impromptu idea at registration a few years ago which led to it's own event.

It is most fun to caravan. I caravaned from MD to SC, MD to CO.
    DelVal usually has a fair amount of folks coming out. Plus you can hook up with someone traveling though.

Once registration opens there will be a list attending sorted by Chapter. I'd try to make plans early if you want to caravan.

MId-Ohio is an awesome track.
    It's also fun to volunteer. There will be a section on the registration form to list where you would like to help.
    Dave Flogaus likes this.

MGarrison

I'd say balance your events out so you're not necessarily in the car all-day, every day, unless you know you won't find that tiresome after several days. Register early so you can get signed up with the events you want, ditto for event HQ hotel reservations, logistics are easier if one doesn't have to transit elsewhere consistently from the host hotel. Otherwise, do as many events as you can that you're interested in, including the social ones, and make as many new friends as you can during the week!

When driving over, keep in mind there are no shortcuts in West Virginia - what might look like a short squiggle between two main highways will really be a 3.5-5 hour sojourn over interminable small road mountaintop & valley traversing switchbacks, stuck behind either a tractor or a pickup truck, neither of which you could ever hope to get past.

That first timers meeting is a fantastic idea! Thanks for these tips. We'll sign up early!

Hey, if we get stuck in the parade, we'll just enjoy the scenery. We'll come prepped with a full ipod. Thanks!
    Dave Flogaus likes this.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Glad to have more rally fans---it seems to be a dying art!

davem3fan DaveM3Fan

I need a new track for my resume and I've wanted to try Mid-Ohio for quite some time.
    Will open it for discussion at home tonight.

Believe it or not, it would be my first CCA O'Fest as well.
    • Staff

steven s

Never been to Mid-Ohio? Shame!
    It is one of my favorite tracks because it's not all about hp.

davem3fan DaveM3Fan

Thinking about trying to rectify this situation! :)
    • Staff

steven s

I always looked at The Glen as trying to suck me in and KILL ME whereas Mid-Ohio rewards for patience and smoothness.

brucembergeron

I'm excited to be attending my first O'fest too. I've already started planning my route from NH to OH. I'm going to take the long route, and stay off Interstates for much of the ride. Question, is the track day organized like a regular BMWCCA track day? Can I expect four 20 minute sessions on track throughout the day, or will it be different? I need to decide if I want to sign up for just one track day, or multiple days.
    • Staff

steven s

Ofest schools are more like single day schools but do run your typical DE schedule. You will have many attending 1 day, then others multiple and some all 5.

I don't know for sure but I think it will be closer to (3) ~25 minute sessions.
    You actually do better with time that way since it takes time to transition on and off the track between sessions.
    If you total the time of 3 sessions vs 4 there may be a few minutes more in 4 sessions but you will loose more time transitioning. So it really is 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another.

One day is never enough unless you just want to experience a new track.
    Personally, I'd do 2 days since you will be going to sleep thinking how to take Madness and Thunder Valley.
    My weak spot is the Keyhole. I seem never to have enough patience coming out of it.

dradernh

It's definitely a handling track, and momentum cars can get around quite well there, helped along by the fact that the fastest stretch is downslope.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

. . . easy for the tin-toppers to gloat. . .

MGarrison

You have plenty of time to weld a roll cage in before O'Fest...! ;) :p

conechaser

Will they be using the club course or the Pro straight? The only times I've been to MidO, we did the Pro straight (SCCA Runoffs 03-04)

MGarrison

I believe the club racers might end up using the pro-straight; I would be very surprised if the driver's schools did anything but the club course.
    • Staff

steven s

I don't know what the difference is between the two configurations.

herbstz4m guest

Club Course Course has a chicane after turn 1:

http://www.trackpedia.com/mediawiki/images/f/fc/MidOhio.jpg

Pro Course doesn't have that chicane. Usually the Pro Course is ran to make life easier on passing after turn 1. But last time I was at Mid-O (last weekend) the club I was with was in Club Course configurations.
    • Staff

steven s

Then it will be the Club Course. I've never driven anything but.