Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Itinerary Suggestions Oct 11 thru Oct 16

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by RBinDC, Sep 1, 2010.

RBinDC guest

My pickup date at the Welt is Monday, Oct 11th and plan to drop it off back in Munich on Saturday, Oct 16th, then fly back the next day. I was looking forward to staying longer but my girl friend can't make the trip.

I would like to see some of Northern Italy and the Mediterranean. Any suggestions on places to go and where to stay? I originally had in mind Lake Como, Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast. Not sure how much of that I can fit all that into 4 days. I have to be back in Munich by Noon on Saturday because HARMS closes a 2 pm. That leaves me with one last night in Munich for some brats, red sauerkraut and beer.

Lets start with a moderately priced hotel (e.g. Courtyard Marriott) convenient to the Welt.

lynchmob6

RBinDC,

First of all, congrats on the new car!

I am in the military and lived in Stuttgart for the past three years. Just moved back to Maryland about two months ago. Bought my 335 through a buying service in Germany and basically did the ED, even though we only lived 2 hour north of Munich.

But... to answer some of your questions, we stayed here:
    http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/munich/mucls/hoteldetail?

Very nice hotel, with free breakfast in the morning. You can walk to the U-Bahn, but it is about a 15 - 20 minute walk. We did this for a couple of days, but on the morning of my car delivery, we took a taxi...about 5 Euros for four people...it is pretty close to the Welt.

Some suggestions since you only have a few days...if you haven't been to Munich before, you might want to consider spending more than one day there. It will take you an entire day to see the Welt, the BMW Museum and take a factory tour, plus pick up your car. We took two days and toured the 1972 Olympic Park, right across the street. We even swam in the pool there for a nominal fee. The rest of that day we went to downtown Munich, saw the Glockenspeil, went to the Haufbrauhaus and toured the rest of the area. Definitely worth the extra day.

If you really don't have to go to Italy, you could just drive to Neuschwanstein and see the castles...this will let you get out on the Autobahn and have some fun. Plus if you really want some local history, you can stop and see Dachau...the concentration camp. That was really worth it.

If you are going to Italy, Tuscany is awesome! I would recommend Florence and Pisa, if you can swing those. Florence is definitely worth the trip, and Pisa/Livorno is not far from Florence. It is about a 6.5 hour trip from Munich to Florence.

There is plenty to see if you want to go just two hours north in Germany to Stuttgart instead. Both Porsche and Mercedes are manufactured there, and both museums are really worth seeing. Plus just to the north of Stuttgart is Ludwigsburg...an excellent palace, and Hollenzolern Castle is just to the south.

Another option is to go east from Munich and hit up Sazburg, Austria...one of our favorite places...and Vienna is only about four hours east of there.

Anyway, Harms does and excellent job of shipping. I shipped from their location in Stuttgart, and my car made it to Baltimore in excellent shape (only took three weeks, so I guess I hit it just right). Only two miles on the odometer. Besides some dust, they really treated it nice. I can give you the low down on the Baltimore pick up in another post if you would like. Truck picked it up the same day I dropped it off and was at the German port in Bremerhaven the following night.

Let me know if I can help you more...

Randy