Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ireland Eng. Diff mounts not offsett-vs. stock e30

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by 02m3smg2b, Jul 19, 2010.

02m3smg2b guest

I am reinstalling my diff in my E30 and I upgraded to IE green Diff mounts. Well.. now that I am putting the diff back in (after doing sub frame bushings, TA bushings, diff seals etc..) I recognize that the stock diff mount bushing was offsett, with the hole in the bushing about .20" further from the top part of the stock bushing than the bottom part of the hole meanwhile the new IE diff bushing is centered. To me this would seem to change the geometry of the diff to the draveshaft a bit, so that gives me some concern. Now I have all the diff bolts and the diff bushing mount bolt loosely installed and I am soon to tighten it all up. Before I do, I wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this and if it caused any issues. I would really hate to have to pull the diff cover and press in yet another diff bushing but I do not want to leave the IE's if this is an issue. The car is a '87 325is. Advice comments and past experiences are appreciated!..Thank you!!

MGarrison

You might want to hit up club racing or NASA spec-E30 forums too. I have the stock 'is mount, so I don't have an answer for you, specifically. I'm gonna guess that 1/5 of an inch is unlikely to cause an issue with the driveshaft universal or cv joints.

02m3smg2b guest

thanks, I'll check there, I also intended to ask about pro's con's of installing the balancer back on the driveshaft / guibo. I put in a SSK but it looks like I have enough clearance to keep it if there is an advantage to have it there.