Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPod & Aux Input

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by jwmerritt, Sep 16, 2009.

jwmerritt guest

I have a 99 328i, no NAV, no iPod Adapter option, and only the single CD player in the dash. All I have is the standard Aux Input jack in the center console. On my dealer's advice, I bought a 3.5mm stereo audio cable at Radio Shack and plugged it in, essentially treating the car like a pair of headphones.

Music plays but it's very poor quality, like listening to AM radio. BMW suggested using a shielded cable (I don't know if those exist for a 3.5mm cable).

Can someone tell me my options? Ideally, I'd also like to charge the iPod while it plays. Please don't suggest the FM transmitter option. I'm looking for something better, although it does sound better than what I have now with the hard wire connection.

mrglock

rspeser

The indicated part will allow you to charge the iPod by using a USB cigarette lighter plug for power. It will also take the audio from the dock connector and so you will get a much cleaner and better audio. The price quoted is probably one of the least expensive I've seen for the part. For <5.00 if you don't like the quality you are not out that much for the experiment. I used a similar product and it worked well until I bit the bullet and bought a DICE Silverline. Some hate the product and some like it, in my personal experience so far it has worked well.

az3579

rspeser

Yes, I have an iPod Touch, iPhone and Nano which work with the DICE.