Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Interior lighting

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Jan 2, 2009.

az3579

I found out that one of the bulbs was already burned out when the second one burned out. It wasn't so weak as to have me think one was already burned out, which is why I thought both went out at the same time. I mean, really what are the odds of both out at the same time?

I did think of bulbs, but I just didn't think outside the box. Thanks for leading to it though... :)

Consider this thread resolved.

Brian A

I believe you need a different wiring harness for a 13-button OBC. I think you need an "s" version E30 (ie 325es) to have the fancy harnesses. My 1987 325ic does; my 1991 318i does not.

The good news is that the bulbs are really easy to replace on 6 function OBC; just pry off the faceplate and plug in new bulbs.

az3579

Yeah, I have an extra instrument cluster here in my room. I just pulled the turn-signal bulbs with holders (I knew those worked) and put those in my 6-button OBC. Done deal; everything is now lit up beautifully!

I know you need a separate harness for the 13-button. Not only that, but I think there's a relay involved as well. Optional would be the turn signal stalk for it, but I'm not concerned with having that.

I'm slowly turning my car into an es. When my sport seats arrive, I will be one step away from 'es'-dom (feature-wise); 13-button OBC! I do not plan on getting the front valence though.

Brian A

I, for one, would really appreciate it if you documented how you install the 13 button OBC in a 6 button car. I miss my "Range" button.

az3579

I think it's rather easy, after doing the light-bulb stuff it shouldn't take any more work than that. All it really is is taking out the existing OBC and the harness that connects into it. I think the harness connects into somewhere under the steering column, or some place near your feet, so it's all inside the car.

I don't know this for sure but there might be a relay involved as well.

If I do it (assuming I find someone willing to sell me the OBC AND the wiring harness), then I'll document it and make a write-up.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It is very easy to do it. You don't need the relay box, that is for the code and for the ding when it is 36F outside. The harness plugs into the back of the cluster. I don't believe that it plugs into the power plug at the firewall, but I will find out at some point and let you all know.
    Who has two thumbs and (probably) an OBC and harness for Botond?

az3579

Hmm... if it plugs into the back of the cluster, is it the yellow connector?
    If so, why on earth would my 6-button one connect to my cluster? It has nothing to do with the cluster in any way...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Gets power from the cluster.

az3579

Ah.

Well I've yet to find an OBC 13-button with wiring harness for a reasonable price. I had one about a year ago, OBC, wiring harness, and some other thing (I think it was a relay but not sure) and got it all for $49. Now I'm lucky to find one under $90. :mad:

ecvchamp guest

Today I found a add on Sacramento CA craigslist for a 13 button for $20. No harness but you could call and ask him.