Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Instrument Cluster woes

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Autohaus, Aug 8, 2009.

Autohaus guest

Update

The short was found and now I have A/C, heated seats and the radio. However, I still don't have blinkers, interior amber lights, no gong and the headlights/taillights stay on when the car is on but no license plate lights. The key fob functions do work now :). My mechanic told me that I need a LCM (light control module). Can a used one be used or do I have to pay $700 from the dealer? That was the ballpark figure from a dealer with the cca discount including having it coded. I just want my &%*% car back :mad:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I think you can recode LKMs, so used might work.

Autohaus guest

Stealer told me different :confused:. However, if Bavarian Auto Recycling sells these parts used, then they must know that they are interchangeable, so that means no re-coding. My next BMW will be a Isetta. Less electronics :rolleyes:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Now I am not sure if it can be done. Get an agreement from whatever junkyard, in writing, that the module can be coded to match your car or you can send it back for a refund. I had a yard send me a module that could not be coded to work (an E39 body control module, IIRC) and when we told them it wouldn't work, they refunded our money. I just don't know for sure.

Autohaus guest

Well it seems that a used part cannot be coded to another car, so even if I do buy a used module I would heed your advice for a refund if the part doesn't work on my car. I just spoke to someone who has a E38 and he needed a LCM/LKM and he installed a used part with no problems. Still waiting for Mike Millers response.......

Autohaus guest

Mike Miller informed me that a used part cannot work but I beg to differ because other E39 members have told me that a used LKM does work if the part #'s match to a T. At this point I feel like putting my E39 on a rocket ship into space. I haven't driven this car since the Truman administration. Bmrparts.com said that a used LKM will work and I can return it for another one or any other used part if it doesn't work. I'll order Z part soon. My E28 hasn't seen this much action in over 10 years, however, I get compliments everywhere I go :D

Autohaus guest

Well I ordered a used light control module for $100 with shipping with a 30-day warranty. I was doing extensive research before I purchased it and from what I read on other forums the hardware and software numbers must match. The used unit that should come by the end of the week has the same part #'s along with the same hw/sw #'s. By installing a used LKM, the red tamper dot will show up on the dash, however, I already have that since I have a used cluster. I just hope that this used unit does the trick so I can finally have my sDrive2.5iM54E39 back :D

Autohaus guest

I have seriously forgotten that I have a E39 until my mechanic called me up yesterday and told me that my car was ready. The used LKM/LCM works! The only problem is that I don't have DRL (daytime running lamps). So the warning lights show on the cluster. I really don't care since I'm glad I finally have this car back. Also, it seems that the LKM was the problem the whole time. My original cluster is back in and I sent the other cluster from Bavarian Auto Exchange which wasn't working correctly back for a fuel tank for my E28. My mechanic was ****ed that he mis-diagnosed my problems but I'm just thankful I have it back. So for the record, a used light control module will work but make sure its from the same year/model and has the same software/hardware numbers.