Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Installing a electronic brake control 2005 X3

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by Drdv654, Aug 25, 2008.

Drdv654 guest

After installing my Draw tight trailer hitch and purchasing a BMW trailer harmess with trailer module I find out that I am having difficulty in hooking up an electronic trailer brake control. ( Prodigy Intertia Unit) With BMW trailer module connected I am getting full voltate out of the trailer connector for the trailer brakes which will cause the electric brakes to come on full. I need to find the wire that comes from the module and connect it to the blue wire from the tailer brake unit Bigger problem is finding where to get the signal to activate the unit. Since the BMW does not have a sptop light switch and has a Hall Effect switch only I cannot get the signal there and if I use the brake lights to activate the trailer control I will conflict with the bulb check and might cause several problems Has anyone ever dealt with this problem and if so how did you overcome the problem . The vehicle is a 2005 X3 3.0 DrDave