Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

idler bearing

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ChestertheK, May 3, 2015.

ChestertheK

My tech told me that because of a bad bushing and bolt caused the idler bearing to misalign the belt and put stress on the ac clutch trashing the compressor. Anyone have experience with this?

charlson89

Yes that is problem with the N52 non turbo engine where the belt can start walking off the tensioner and cause damage to the front crank seal and wrap around the crankshaft. I personally have not ran into this issue causing the compressor clutch to fail. The N54 engine is also having some issues with the tensioner as well but not as often at the N52.

MGarrison

Is there a permanent fix for this issue & if so, what is it, & will doing it pre-emptively keep it from occurring in the first place? Any N52-engined models this isn't a problem with?

charlson89

So far I have not heard about a permanent fix. All the N52's so far once they get over 40k seem to start doing it. You can see the belt slowly start walking off the tensioner toward the fan thats the time to replace the tensioner.