Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

I Should Be Working, but....

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by bikeman195, Nov 25, 2008.

I have a '97 328is with 167k miles on it. It's my daily driver and it's been great, although when it breaks it's $$$$ to fix (e.g. driver's seatback tilt was $867 to fix). I love the car and I'm debating whether to buy another CPO or keep this one because it's running so well. Anyway, I was wondering what experience anyone has had with:
    1. The plastic headlight covers. I was a little lax in cleaning them and they're just the other side of grimy. What's the best way to clean them?
    2. The display on my radio is "faded", that is, you can seen the numbers but they're faint. Is there a way I can brighten the display so the station ID shows during the day?
    3. Finally, the display for outside temperature is missing some "dots" so it's hard to read. Is there an inexpensive way to fix that?

Jeff Gomon

1. Found a post on headlight lens polishing that is perfect for what you are attempting to do. There are even some pictures to follow. Remember, half the battle is overcoming the fear of screwing something up. Read the entire directions and you will be fine. <http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285983> Try this one as well, there is even a video....<http://www.gtglass.com/product_detail/6.html>.

2. I would bet you have a backlight bulb, or two, that are burned out. Cheap and easily fixed. If you don't have one, get a Bentley Service manual for you car, get one. Best money you will spend. You might find one at your local library as well. This will tell you how to access the bulbs. I am betting there is a step by step website out there for this as well.

3. You are suffering a common problem with the "pixels" on the OBC display. There is a fix for this as well...replace the display! I don't think there is a repair for these, but I know there are alot of cars that suffer from this....

Hope this helps in some way.