Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

I have this friend...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mrsbee, Mar 6, 2013.

mrsbee guest

So, I have this friend that might want to get her/his wheels painted.

Comments? Concerns? What does this friend need to know and more importantly would you suggest getting a powder coat done or just a paint job or just screw the pooch and get new wheels?

They might just look like these, covered constantly in brake dust. Said friend has the theory if the wheels were to be painted a similar color to the brake dust it would look "bad ass" and perhaps mellow out their "OCD of clean".

Different brakes are out of the question - don't ask why, they just are. wheels.jpg

drummerfc

C'mon, level with us...is this "friend" really you??? :cool:

mrsbee guest

As I shuffle my feet and look longingly at the floor hoping for a way out of this one...I'm going to respond with "Nothing about me is ever level".

floydarogers

Re-finished and powder-coated is the only thing that's going to look good and last.

drummerfc

There there...that's ok. Being honest about everything is the first step...heheh! :p

mrsbee guest

Well, now it sounds like I need to attend a support group :)

"Hello everybody, my name is Nikki and I have a problem"
    "Hello Nikki"
    "I have this secret desire to transform my wheels into specimens of black beauty. Every morning, on my way to my grueling job at the salt mine I get stuck next to the same, lame, bright yellow Chevy Cobalt with painted black wheels and I wonder to myself "Nikki, how long are you going to wait until you get your wheels done to totally show that punk what REAL style is?"
    "We sympathize, Nikki. Go on"
    "So, I've been looking into powdercoating..."
    MGarrison likes this.

MGarrison

Within the last few days on a regional facebook group page, someone posted pics of the black plasti-dip job they'd done on their wheels. Interesting approach - but, I'd wonder about the melting point of plasti-dip; if your wheels got hot enough from, oh, say, multiple repeated applications of the brakes down from high velocities on a racetrack, I think one might end up with their wheels being a big mess. No doubt there's places that can re-do your wheels, or you can give it a go yourself, if black is inevitable. The cheapest thing might be that wheel wax stuff that's supposed to protect the wheels and make it harder for brake dust to stick, and thus, easier to clean. Probably far less effective in track usage, I'm guessing. I think I fall more into Satch's camp - once in awhile, this or that or something gets cleaned - maybe... if I can find the time - including wheels. ;)

kgmoodyz4

Nikki have you figured out what to do? I keep getting this vision of you and a can of Krylon....

mrsbee guest

Well...about those wheels...it's kind of an interesting story.

While at the South Atlantic Conferences this weekend, Mr Bee came along for the ride and to enjoy the opportunity to adventure around Atlanta while I was learning all about how to argue with other Board (some bored) members from other chapters. About 4 pm Saturday afternoon I got a nice little message from Mr. Bee "Uhhh, your window might be broken again".

So. That being said, I'm in a heated debate with the dealership over if they're going to cover the repair for something that they had already "fixed".

Wheels are still on my mind, but unfortunately not on my primary action items.

The only thing I might do with that can of Krylon is maybe graffiti "Mrs. Bee Rocks" somewhere, or just huff the fumes. Why not participate in a little MORE brain damage?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Party A had a nutty yearning for matte-black wheels for her evil 335i, plus she needed better rubber. . . well, okay, I had to put BS RE-11s on the Roadster, so my Michelinos were available. But they were nineteens, so new birthday wheels looked like a solution. I hate that they ALWAYS look filthy, but I like that there's no point in my cleaning them, since they always look filthy. She, however, thinks they look bitchin'.

I checked the tire pressure the other day and came away with black fingers. Eeeew! I guess it's time to clean the damn things, even though they'll look just the way they do now.

Anyway: My vote is for new black wheels. Keep your stock wheels for when you sell the car or need snow tires.