Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How to work the system

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mooseheadm5, Apr 10, 2009.

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

So this is a post about parting out/flipping cars. I have thought about picking up snapped belt E30s and rehabbing them, or simply parting out nonrepairable cars. The locals don't like junk cars too much, so I would have to keep it low key. The lot at the shop is too exposed, so if someone complains, the cars have got to go. Basically, I'd have to part/flip them quickly if I wanted to make a habit out of this. So, to that end, what are the most desireable BMWs to have in parts? I think E30s are pretty popular to part right now. I have a line on a convertable that I may be able to get cheap and repair. Supposedly has an M-tech kit. Anyone interested?

Oh, by the way, I happen to be parting out a 90 4 door 325i and an 86 2 door 325e (with a 327i kit available) if anyone needs anything. :D

stevehecht

Is the dash in good or excellent condition?

mooseheadm5

Got a perfect one promised to BrianA. Not sure if I want to give up my other perfect one. PM me an offer.

mac townsend guest

i'm trying to tack down an idle control issue. my nose/gut tells me it's a temp sensor (because switching to a warmer stat did not solve the problem (tho the gage gets off the 1/4 mark now<G>), thus telling me it is not reading temp correctly). well, it's also the cheapest thing to try. if that doesn't work, i might be able to use the controller/valve from the 86 (for my 84).

Brian A

Seems like eBay will be your friend no matter what you do.

Even though E30s are changing in the marketplace from "old cars" to "classics", it will always be an enthusiast's niche market. Within that niche, as a professional technician, you can really add value to old E30s by going over them, getting them nice and reliable again and attractive for purchase. Certainly on the website here, you've developed a reputation as being frank, ernest and honest, which would do you well should you somehow be able to tie that reputation to the products you sell. How you expand your on-line reputation sufifciently to create a virtual "Moosehead Motors" business is a tough question.

An alternative way to sell repaired E30s is to fix them up and use them at club events with a 'For Sale" sign on it. We are all approached by fellow enthusiasts asking if our E30s are for sale.

I would expect parting out is tricker. There, you are competing with a ton of salvage businesses and eBay sellers. Plus only DIYers will be buying and they are a subset buyer within a niche. Most people don't wrench and when they do, most parts they will want to buy new (eg control arms).

There may be a market for upgrades. Rare valances, nice seats, fancy wheels will sell well. The plain stuff is out there from a million sources. Again, as a professional technician, you might be able to add value by putting together systems, such as all the parts needed to upgrade a 325i to an 325is, or subsystems within that (a cruise control kit, a 13 button OBC upgrade kit, a fog light kit etc). Building and selling 327i conversion kits might work too (you almost had Botond until he started sleeping with an S50), although most 325e are not in the hands of enthusiasts.

Hope this helps. Just some thoughts from an enthusiast. I am not in the business.

stevehecht

Paul, do you check your PMs or should I take no answer for "no deal"?

mooseheadm5

I am busy at times, you know? I may or may not sell you a dash. I am not sure whether I want to save one good one for myself, and Brian has dibs on the other (I thought I sent you a PM, but my computer did lock up yesterday.) I do not know how much shipping will be, but it will probably be between $75 and $125 depending on how tidily I can box it.

mooseheadm5

I have Motronic 1.3 on both cars - no parts for your 1.0, sorry.

stevehecht

OK, let me know. I'd like to keep the total cost close to $200 if that works for you.