Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How to Get Sold Out Munich Factory Tour Tickets?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dlai, Jun 10, 2009.

dlai guest

My wife and I will be traveling to Munich from 6/24 to 7/5 and want to attend the Munich Factory tour. I went to the BMW website and apparently tickets are sold out during our stay. I know we can take our chances and show up to see if we can get in, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get tickets if the tour is sold out? I can't seem to find anything that tells me how, so I'm assuming it's next to impossible. Let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks ahead of time for any comments.

I have no idea - but you might try calling the club office, somebody might know somebody who might know somebody that might have an idea or a suggestion.

Brian A

There is hope

I've done the factory tour twice; both times without reservations.

I would telephone the Welt and explain that you could not book a tour on-line. They may be able to manually get you into the system. Having said that, I don't give you much hope. (Well, if you're really desperate, just take European delivery of a car because a factory tour is included in the European Delivery experience.) The system is just a reservation system; no paper "tickets" are printed or distributed so I doubt anyone, including BMW CCA, has any tickets to distribute.

Showing up at the Welt without factory tour reservation is a risky proposition but it is certainly worth a try. That is the way I've gotten in my two times. The first time I did the tour was about 6 or 7 years ago or so. At that time, the tour embarked from the old museum and I basically waited in a queue holding sharp elbows high waiting for an opening. It took two hours. The second time was shortly after the Welt opened and I basically just walked into the Welt (the new embarkation point of tours) and got a tour ticket from the front desk (despite no reservations being available on-line). It was that simple.

I've done it without a reservation because, like you, the tour phone line (first time) and tour website (second time) did not show slots available. The second time, I tried repeatedly to book a reservation, starting months in advance, and it seemed suspicious to me that the all tours for all days were unavailable. I wondered if BMW or other corporate entities block out large numbers of slots, which may be released nearer to the tour time.

With the tour route now moved to new catwalks above the factory floor, the size of each tour group has increased substantially. This means the probability of no-shows has also increased. If there are no-shows, they may let you in. The trick will be how to get onto "stand-by" where they will let you in at the last minute. I think it just means showing up at the Welt and asking for a ticket.

Good luck with it all. The Welt and the Museum and Munich in general are all great places to hang-out. As always is the case with travel, you just have to roll with the punches. It'll be fun whether you get into the tour or not.

Here is also some extra detail of my experience at the Welt:

Also check my Gallery as I have extra photos of Munich: