Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How slow is a 525it

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by jayfl, May 29, 2008.

jayfl guest

What's up guys. I currently own a 1991 volvo 740 turbo but will soon be in the market for a e39 wagon, most likely a 525it or a 528it. I would like a 540it, but with gas prices i think i'll pass (never thought i'd hear myself say that).

Anyways what i would like to know is exactly how slow is a 525it and is the 528it noticeably faster especially with the extra torque it has? Also i have no plans to buy one with an auto, 5spd only which i'm sure should help out a little. I'm just a little concerned being that my volvo has some decent mods and is pretty fast, and i'm afraid that the 525it will be too slow. I did see that they sell a supercharger over at VF superchargers, so that might be an option in the future. Thanks for any help and feedback. Cheers!

Autohaus guest

Go with the 528iT. You get about 8 more hp and 18 lbs of torque. With the manual, you will be able to rev her like crazy :) I had a 1999 528i auto and it was pretty quick. Not rip-your-face-off power, but good passing power and blew away many japz...... A supercharger would make her fly.

az3579

Good luck getting a supercharger. There goes your gas savings. lol

jayfl guest

It should still be better then a 540it. My old 03 cobra got about the same gas milage as a mustang gt, and they had the same engine only the cobra was supercharged. Thanks for the input though. :)

az3579

Well I meant that financially AND economically. lol

The cost of a supercharger is like what, a year's worth of gas?

jayfl guest

Good point and i have thought about that before. That's part of the reason i say in the future, basically me pretending that i'll have more disposable income in the future...fat chance right :). That's also part of the reason i shyed away from the vw jetta tdi sportwagen. Even though i'll save money with its 55mpg, the $10k premium i'd pay to buy it would be more then offset by the savings i'd get from buying a 525it.

Also i'm not sure if the 540it came with a manual tranny, which i'd really like to have.

az3579

To my knowledge, the 540it didn't have one. :(

Question is, do you really need all that power? Did you test drive one yet? If not, try one out first, be it from a private seller or a used car dealer and then decide if it packs enough grunt for your tastes. My 2.7 is brutally slow, to be honest (about 9 seconds stock 0-60) but I hear that the engine in a 528i, despite the car's extra weight, can deliver about a second and a half off of that, but don't take my word for it. Test drive and then you'll see.

Autohaus guest

E39 528i's (with the M52TU) would take 7.5+ ticks to get to 60. No 540it's were available with the 6-speed manual. Remember, gas might get up to $7-$8 per gallon within 12-24 months. Are you sure about the super/turbo charging? Just slap on a cone filter and claim that it gets 50 hp :)~

stevebmwcca guest

If your Volvo has suspension mods, you will probably want a 528iT with the sport package
    (17 inch wheels, sport springs/shocks, sway bars).