Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How difficult is it to replace an E30 dashboard?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Brian A, Oct 11, 2008.

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That is pretty much it. I would like to add that now is the time to replace your OBC light bar, any dash or instrument cluster lights, or upgrade to OBC and/or cruise control. Dropping the column gives you more wiggle room, but is not necessary. The screws that go up into the bottom of the dash from the ashtray area are a real PITA, especially if the speed nuts are not in the right spot. And watch that flashlight socket! It is unfused and can take out all of the dash wiring and maybe even burn down your car if it shorts on something!!!!

stevehecht

The auto upholstery shop that put in my new carpet showed me these dashboard slip-over covers that does not involve taking off the original. They come in different colors and are the same grade plastic as OEM (I think). The part and the labor came to $200 total. Anyone familiar with this?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Pleh! I had a cover like that on my M5 when I bought it. Looked like someone had covered it with Soul Glow. Couldn't see out the windshield on a sunny day because of the reflection. Fix it right or don't bother at all, because you will be disappointed with the results.

stevehecht

Cool! Now that's fast service! Between the guys on this forum and Mike Miller I'm set for life. I don't mind admitting that I'm a (57 year old) noob, if that's not already obvious. I grew up in NYC, didn't own a car until I was 22, and they were no more than an appliance for me until about two years ago. Then for some reason I got bit by the bug (mid-life crisis?), and I've been on a steep learning curve ever since.

az3579

Well, you sure got the right bug to bite you. I'm glad it's not the Mustang/Corvette bug that bit you, otherwise you'd probably end up in a tree somewhere with the engine still bouncing off the rev limiter. lol

I have to agree with Paul. The dash covers are just cheap and dont' look right. If you're going to fix your dash, then get a crack-free one and swap out the existing one.