Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

High RPM Smells like Burning Oil & Gas

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by EvaUnit02, Dec 2, 2010.

EvaUnit02

I've started to notice this recently but can't figure out what the problem is. For much longer before this smell, I've notice some oil on the top of the engine cover as if it were coming out of the oil cap. I replaced the oil cap (assuming it was the gasket) but that didn't solve it. What could it be? Warped head? Head gasket? I (supposedly) had the head gasket replaced by my mechanic.

Also, I've noticed a mild whining sound now that it's cold. The sound correlates to the engine RPM but not to any specific gear. The sound seems to fade away after the car has been driven and warmed up for about thirty minutes in the morning. What might be causing this sound?

az3579

Perhaps your valve cover gasket could use a replacement. Any leaking oil around the valve cover?

EvaUnit02

I haven't noticed but I'll be sure to take a look.

MGarrison

Until someone pipes up with some specific insight about your particular vehicle/engine - perhaps spray things down good with a few cans of brake parts cleaner, make sure everything's clean and dry, so if you are leaking something, you stand a better chance of seeing it and identifying its source. Make sure the brake parts cleaner is well dried up and evaporated before you start the engine; if you douse the engine down and then crank it up right away, you stand a good chance of having your engine bay erupt in flames.