Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

High Pitched Noise on 2006 Z4 3.0 si

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by Zdaneman, Mar 19, 2012.

Zdaneman

Gents,

Need some hep! When my wifes car is running under no load (parked), I hear a high pitch whining noise. Turned off the radio, not there. Its not under the hood. Sounds like it coming from the rear of the car. It happens when the top is up or down, doesn't matter. Once the car is placed in gear it stops. No jerking on shifting with or without paddles. Car drives great.

My guess is a fuel pump? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Zdaneman

BimmerBrad

Zdaneman

Thanks mate!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

I get a mechanical sound on my 2011 Z4 the instant I open the door to get into the car.
    No question in my mind, this is the fuel pump loading the system. Sound in not audible
    once the system is pressurized & no sound after the car is started. How many miles on the car?
    My 2006 M Roadster had 25K on the clock at the end of the lease, no noise on the back end, but
    a crispy synchro on the one, two upshift. Certified "normal" from 6K, per my dealer...

MGarrison

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Once the synchros are fried, however, nothing will bring them back but a rebuild...

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Like I said... Crispy, Extra Crispy... My lease started with 900 miles on the clock. One too many test drives, maybe.

But Satch, how about that Marquis Roundel Weekly Article From Mrs. Bee. Glad you gave her a spot.
    Always good to see a Forum story make it out of pit row & onto the track. Good Stuff!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, I thought a few more people might get to know her if we gave her a wider stage. . . and it seems to me that she's well worth knowing!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Rookie free-lance writer, has a nice ring, don't you think? Not for nothing, it's a nice change to hear BMW stories from a different perspective. Beats the old run flat rants.