Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

High performance coils/ Liqui Moly oil

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Nov 9, 2015.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Anybody like to weigh in on pro's and con's of high performance coils? I have a '02 E39 sport wagon would this improve my cars performance that much? The car has a bit over 165K. About to have my valve cover replaced so they will be right there for the changing. Looking forward to your comments. BTW Bavarian Autosport is having a sale on their brand of coils. Are other brands better? I have been using Castrol synthetic motor oil since Bavarian is having a sale on Ligui Moly is this a good choice? Thanks all.
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

This is my opinion of high performance coils. In a normal everyday driver and vehicles with slight mods no I don't believe they are worth the price. The main difference between high performance coils and OEM is the firing voltage or KV's is a lot higher. Do they help in your average vehicle absolutely they give you a better burn in the cylinder but performance wise they do not make more power. I recommend high performance coils for vehicle that using a super charger or turbo or higher than normal compression. The reason for this is spark under high compression requires more KV's to jump from the spark plugs core to the electrode. So at your current mileage your coils a bit on the old side and have seen better days. You could just go with OEM and save some money and still have the improvement of new coils. As for the oil Moly does make a good product but is pricy when compared to castrol. You can't go wrong with either as long as your change your oil at the set interval or lower.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Thanks for the info. The only reason I am considering the Liquor Molly was because it is on sale. I use Castrol normally. Good info about coils too.