Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

HELP!! Paint Problem

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by dma0413, Jun 3, 2012.

dma0413

Ok, so the worst possible scenario has unfolded. I was leaving a friend's house last night, I pulled out of the driveway and heard the scraping of my front fascia all over the pavement. I didn't think much of it last night as I suspected it might be the underside of that black thing that sits under the M3 front air dam. I was wrong. The lower lip o f the painted front fascia is visibly scraped up. Its bad. Its so bad. I believe I may have shed a tear when I saw it. I was pretty pissed when I noticed it this morning.
    Anyway, I need to know what my options are here. I am guessing that Dr. Color Chip or something like it is out of the question. The scrape is about 14 inches long and I can see a little black plastic pokin through. Like I said, its the worst. PLEASE HELP!! Need to know the best way to deal with it. (Pics coming)

MGarrison

I don't know - things can always be worse - a jet engine could have fallen off a plane and on your car from 30,000 ft.... a rampaging elephant could have escaped from the zoo and trampled your M3 flat... you could be the first car stopped at a railroad crossing when the train derails... a terrorist decided your M3 was the perfect test platform for their micro-scale dirty nuclear bomb... a starved tasmanian devil accidentally got locked in your car and ate the interior... you could live in New York City and like salt with your meals and drinking large sodas... and so on.... :p

However, more to the point - I'd suggest asking a body shop about plastic body panel repair. Sorry to hear the tale though, stuff like that is always frustrating. I doubt it will make you feel any better, but yours is better than my desperately trying to stop from running over a small tree that was blown across the road after a heavy rain/windstorm one night and remained unseen until way too late. 35 mph on a dark rainy street, tree pops into view of the headlights, immediate full ABS application, and the car just about comes to a stop with the ABS pumping away underfoot after running over the tree and taking off the front bumper fascia - having not fully stopped with the tree now amidships and realizing I might get stuck, I figured at that point it was best to get the rear wheels over the tree trunk and then stop, so kept going until I got over the tree and then went back and retrieved the newly removed front parts. I think the tree was about 6-8" diameter - ugh!

dma0413

ok, fair enough. But hear me out .... Jet Engine=total loss, Insurance company gets me another M3, I win. Never having to look at that nasty scrape again. Escaped elephant....even if it ain't totalled, I'm leaving that disaster with an awesome story for this forum. Train derailing....see jet engine please. Terrorist Dirty Nuke test.....DEFINITELY totalled, new M3 and my military friends now have a more specific anti-American extremist to target while they are on their third tour. NYC bans 20 Oz beverages.... sounds like a market opportunity to me. I like the idea of a new age NASCAR being born from BMWCCA members running cases of Coke and Pepsi to the city and turning it into a motorsport against the likes of Bloomberg and his army of nanny-nutritionsists! I grant you, however, the Taz devil is worse. I watch too much discovery channel to wish that on my worst enemy. Don't you put that evil on me Ricky-Bobby!
    Given a few days to let it set in though, the scrape on my baby aint that bad. After all, it's better than log rolling in my car! Ouch-man, I stand corrected. That is the worst!! Thanks for the info and a little entertainment as always Garrison....

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hey, we're supposed to work WITH the drug...