Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help! Looking to Purchase '87 325is

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by tachi1247, Apr 20, 2010.

eam3

bcweir

Nice car, but for $10,900 I expect to see more than this.

Full documentation, all original paperwork and accessories, all keys, and especially an up to date service record.

Barring the above, somebody needs to point out to the dealer that this E30 is not an M3 at that price.

tachi1247

Thanks for all your help everyone. I've decided I'm going to let the dealer sit on the car for a week or so. In the meantime I've got a buddy who is good friends with a BMW specialty mechanic so I think I will come up with a laundry list of maintenance items based on the old service schedule and then other parts that are likely to need replacement after sitting for so long. I'll have the mechanic put a price to my list and then, if the dealer is willing to negotiate, use that to work out a fair price for the car. I'll leave my standing offer and that will be the end of it. They will either call or they won't.

From my point of view, I can either search around the country for a higher mileage E30 without rust or I can possibly get this one. Either way, both cars are going to need repairs. If I can get this one for a price that reflects the repairs that will be needed I would rather have it than one with 150k miles that needs the same work. Plus I don't need to fly around the country to look at cars. We'll see what happens.

Brian A

We're chearing for you.

The cost is pocket change compared to buying a new car. The great thing, after they're fixed up, is that you know exactly what the condition of the car is. Last year, I felt confident enough in my 1987 325ic to take it from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon in the heat of the summer. Only had a few glitches (... well, okay a fuel pump went, but the car has two so it caused no problems).

az3579

Cheering, Brian, cheering. :D

Brian A

Oops. It's because I have a cast on my write hand.

Zdaneman

My two cents worth

I just paid 12 K for a very clean, show room condition 90 325is with original paint. See my other post for pics of the car. It is show room clean and everything works just as it should. Most of the interior has been replaced with NOS parts and its perfect, and I mean perfect.

I even have the orginal window sticker plus about 1/2 inch thick list of all maintance from the orginal owner and second owner (Jeff Roberts) who corrected all the previous maintenance that wasn't preformed. He paid close to 8 k for the car when he bought it about 5 years ago. He then spent about 15 K on the car making it perfect. I had no issues with paying 12K for the car. It is everything you would expect for a car with a 12K price and more. Its perfect, all factory stickers, new rubber seals everywhere, full tool kit, 6 CD changer, heated seats, all IS options avaiable at the time with SR, correct maintenance records, all parts if replaced were NOS and every single bell, light and feature works as if it just rolled off the showroom floor.

If the car your looking at doesn't meet this standard I'd pass or offer a much lower price.

I have a nice 88 325is I will be posting for sale and I have invested over 40 K making it right since the previous owner did nothing but drive it into the ground. I paid 2.5K for the car 5 years ago with 68K miles. It now has 130K and I've replaced most of the items that fail and cause issues. It is not a show car by any means but a good solid driver, which I've driven everyday for the last 5 years. My mistake was buying a car with a salvage title. It is an 325is, but it will never bring top value due to the title. Its a solid car now, since I've dumped so much time and money in making it right, but most folks would not have gone this far. I've taken several 800 plus mile trips over the last 3 years and it runs like a top.

Good luck!

Zdaneman sends