Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help! 2007 X3 with M wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rlengyel, Nov 1, 2008.

rlengyel

Just bought a 2007 CPO X3 with about 9K miles. Loaded and sweet.:D Thought I'd look at the wheels for sizing up for winter tires, living here in the northeast. I discovered all of the wheels have an "M" emblem. Front 235/45-19 and Rear 255/40-19. Tire rack does not list winter rubber for these sizes. Being a novice at this, I need some advice. :confused:

M3Driver guest

Well, I don't really have a good answer for you. But I DO know that if you call Tire Rack and speak one of the reps they are really switched in and should be able to advise you over the phone. I typically ask for Gary (can't remember his extension). He is a long-time BMW owner who answers tires/wheel type questions on several BMW forums.

Given those nice M wheels (we have the same vehicle you might note), I'd guess he'd suggest you get a new set of winter wheels to go with your tires.

cheers...

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Another Option

I just went thru this same scenario last month with a "new to me" 2005 CPO X5 with the 19" sport wheels. While not the same model as you (X3 vs. X5) the tire size situation is the same. The 19" snow tires to fit your ///M wheels will be expensive, and they will have to be staggered as well so no rotating to extend their life. A quick search shows snows tire options in 235/45-19 and 255/40-19, to fit your current wheels, as being between $275 and $330 each on Tire Rack....ouch!!!

My suggestion is to find a set of used 17" X3 OE take-off wheels and install a set of 235/55-17in. snow tires on them. You will be able to rotate these front to back and changing them over is much easier as they are already mounted and balanced. You can find sets of OE X3 wheels on e-bay or on the CCA website as well. Prices for the 17" snow tires alone in your size run from $95 to $175 depending on manufacturer. Tire Rack has a complete set of snow tires AND new 17in. rims for just over $1280.

For me, I ended up finding a set of 18" OE X5 sport package wheels (with the 1/3 worn OE Michelin street tires still mounted) for only $100 plus shipping!!! A lucky find, but they are bigger than the 17's I was actually searching for. I found a good deal on 18" Blizzaks as well on Tire Rack for $134 each and my total snow tire and wheel investment was less than $900.

Do the math, do some searching and you will find a deal that makes sense for you. One more thought...don't risk damaging your nice summer wheels by mounting and dismounting snow tire and summer tires twice year and having to rebalance everything.
    Hope this helps in some way.

rlengyel

Thanks. I went to tire rack and bought OE size wheels with winter rubber. As everyone has figured out, it was less that half the price of BMW wheels. And I'm sure over time with salt and ash on the road that the wheels will take a beating.

I agree with your assessment of removing and mounting winter rubber. The 19" wheels are really nice, and I don't want to bugger them up.

Thanks again.