Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

heater and a/c motor stays on all the time

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by eric266, Jul 11, 2009.

eric266 guest

Both my heater and a/c controls would only work on the high setting so I changed the transistors as recommended by the BCG. How as soon as I turn on the ignition the blower comes on regardless of what setting I have it on. When I take it to full speed it does blow slightly faster but won't shut off when I take it to the off position. I also replaced the blower switch. Anyone ever seen this before??

Eric
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Did you replace the transistor with a new one, or did you buy a Radio Shack transistor and solder it in? If the latter, maybe you have purchased the wrong transistor, or just got a bad one?

eric266 guest

Bought a radio shack one, I drove the car for about 15 minutes and it failed, now the fan only comes on at high setting again. I spent most of the afternoon checking the wiring to make sure there were no shorts as well. I'm pretty sure I got a bad transistor. Going to research the proper part from BMW and unless it cost big bucks I will replace it with OEM.

Just one more lesson learned...never get aftermarket parts for this car they almost never work right!

Thanks,
    Eric