Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Heated seats and seat covers

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by 198052, Aug 2, 2012.

Has anyone heard of any concerns using seat covers on cars with factory heated seats? I searched on this topic in the forum and was not able to find any hits. Thank you.

MGarrison

I haven't - if your seat covers have any labeling as to manufacturer, theoretically you might be able to contact them and find out the flame-retardant quality of the seat cover fabric. Normally functioning seat-heaters should not be hot enough to ignite the seat itself, seems unlikely to me there might be much of a risk or issue, except for possibly with all but the cheapest of seat covers. As an automotive product, I would expect them to be made of a flame-retardant material, but, I would also have expected Chinese children's toys not to have ingestible heavy-lead paint, or similarly sourced dog-chow to contain toxic, potentially fatal, ingredients. If you have access to one of those hand-held thermometers (something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electr...rared-thermometer-w-laser-sighting-92092.html) you could see how hot your seat gets after it's been sat on and on enough to reach a max temperature. Then, if you can find out the melting temperature of your seat cover fabric, you might have an idea if you're even close to any kind of issue. I suppose there's always the flame test, take a match to an inconspicuous part of your seat cover and see if rapidly bursts into a ball of flame... (might be a good idea to pull the seat cover out of the car and conduct all experimentation away from the car, house, gasoline cans, long hair, or anything else combustible).