Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 31, 2009.

bcweir

If the company is worried about a prospect jumping ship....

a) that ought to mean a high quality candidate is WORTH more.

and for that matter,

b) if a company is worried about a prospect jumping ship, that's why you sign them to a contract, complete with anti-compete clauses, et al.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Man, it's tense around here!

You know, of course, that none of us will get through the Thanksgiving season without thinking about you. . . .

I have to drive up to Palm Desert for the holiday. This route includes a terrific section of up-and-down switchbacks, but I don't know how well I'm going to be able to herd the roadster with my fingers all crossed like that!

Michgndr89

Maybe, but why would a company want to overpay the position in hopes that maybe this higher quality person actually performs far above the job description. It's a crap shoot, and in this job market, companies don't have to play to those "fringe" candidates any more. There are plenty of people to choose from right now, and they can narrow their search window. I lived that horror all spring/summer and finally got lucky in August.

Still pulling for you, Auto!!! I'll raise a turkey leg as a toast on T-Day.

M3Driver guest

Call 'em back and get a status then. You got nothing to lose....

Autohaus guest

I must have said this over a dozen times but thanks for all of the support guys. I spoke to the woman who I interviewed with just to ask a few more questions but she wouldn't give me a hint. What boggles my mind is that they already know who is going to get hired and not knowing until after turkey day is somewhat of a disappointment. They just should have told me, "Mr. Espinoza, we would like to offer you the position of inside claims adjuster but would you mind if we started you on our comprehesive training program on Monday, December 6th"?

As always I'm gonna assume the worst case and keep on applying like I have been the past 22 months. I did get an email from a company about 25 miles away requiring more information about a payroll associate position. They wanted to know my salary expectations which I gladly put down a rather large figure of $125K/yr. I mean, I do need a E36 M3 and my wife wishes for a E46 M3, so I told this company up front that I'm gonna be a pretty penny :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I don't like to be too optimistic, but. . .

Somehow I have a good feeling about this. Somehow I think your perseverance is about to be appropriately rewarded. My hat's off to you for hangin' in there, when I know I would have succumbed to despair long ago.

By God, I am going to maintain a positive attitude straight through Thanksgiving! And I'll raise a glass of champers in your direction, 'Haus! You are the champion for so many of us!

az3579

Well, I dunno what's better; not having a job or getting all the sh*t dumped on you at work and not even get paid days off. :mad:

Let's see:
    Daily piles of stress, too much work, no time off, meh pay but a paycheck nonetheless, or...
    No stress, no work, plenty of time off, but no paycheck

Why the heck can't there be an in between (except for the pay part)? :(

drummerfc

Dude...when you find the cure for this issue let me know...I will be your FIRST and BEST customer!!

Gotta put 2 kids through college, or I'd be outta this rat race quicker than you'd ever see a 52 y/o caucasian with bad knees move!!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Amen to that!

Broddah Botund, he say:

Well, I'm not sure the size of the check matters: No matter how much I make, I still feel like I'm about a month away from being at the end of the on-ramp with a cardboard sign.

But I have to say that despite the stress and the complete lack of time, the infernal politics and the constant flow of crisis-to-crisis management, I still believe my entire life has directed me to the peculiar position I occupy now. It's a fate I wish for all of us-but I think the Sam Adams line, "Find a job you love, and you'll never work another day in your life," is bull****.

(Let's see what the Machine does when it runs across "bull****.")

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh. It seems we have a nanny. . .

Probably the roadster wouldn't let me use improper language, either, if it could stop me.

Think the programmers managed to warn it about Scheiß?

Michgndr89

There is. It's called "retirement", and unfortunately, you pretty much have to pay up front.

Frank,

Your kids can pay for their own college. Provide what you can, but they'll get more out of it, if they pay for it.

Me? I was raised by wolves. But, they were smart wolves and college was actually affordable in those days.

So, my advice might be pretty worthless

Autohaus guest

pic of said wolves please.....:D

drummerfc

Yeah...riiiiight, Marty McFly...let us know when you fix your flux capacitor so you can return to REALITY...:p:D:cool:

Actually, they will be paying their loans - which for the who is one in college now, is roughly half the cost. I'm happy to give them a jump-start...it's not like it was when we were 18. If you have college-age kids you know how it is today - you can't work at McDonald's part-time whilst in High School and save up for a huge college tuition payment...lucky if they can save up a portion of it!

You too, eh?? :D:D

drummerfc

You're slippin' man...you forgot the "...or it didn't happen" part! :p

I said..........."my advice might be worthless" :)

But, the cost of college has really called into question the value (or, I should say...return on investment) of a college degree.

Autohaus guest

Pics of you posting ^^^ or it never happened.

I ran into a woman who I knew worked for Health Quest on Thursday and I asked her if they were hiring. She kindly informed me that they were so luckily I have countless resumes on hand in the e39. However, she did mention that it was nearly impossible to get an interview for HQ and that they only hire potential canidates who are referred to them by current employees. So hopefully I haz a foot in the door.

As for Allstate, I am still waiting for a response, though probably not until the following week after the Thanksgiving holiday. So the waiting game continues.....

Autohaus guest

Well its the end of the month and I still haven't heard a peep outta Allstate. I have sent an email out which has gone unanswered. Gotta keep the faith.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Well, everyone is just getting back from their holiday, and probably more than a few took a week off so they are behind. A friendly phone call never hurts.

drummerfc

This time of year and the mid-/late-summer are both an absolute BEYOTCH times to find employment IMO, sorry to say. :confused::(

WTF do you do for a living (when you are working that-is)??? I feel I should help somehow...if I can, I will!