Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 31, 2009.

CRKrieger

When the conversation strays from humor to serious politics, it's time to lock the thread.

az3579

Agreed. We don't need more politics.

Autohaus guest

Ok so it has been about a month since I've last posted so let me give you folks an update.

Earlier this month I had an invterview with Enterprise Rent a Car. The position was for staff accountant which was in my ballpark as I would have been familiar with the practice and day to day functions of the title. However, I did not score the 2nd interview as I got a feeling that the interviewer wasn't blown out of the tub. At the end of the interview process I was told, "We are currently interviewing other candidates and I'll let you know either way in two days". In other words what she really wanted to say was, "You are not what we are looking for so thank you for your time". Not the end of the world.

Now earlier last week I applied for a inside claims adjuster position at Allstate located only 5 miles from my dungeon. I had a phone interview two days later and nailed an interview that took place today. As soon as I got to the lobby, I was complimented on how sharp I looked (I love suits) by employees. That made me feel good. Even both interviewers were embarrassed how they looked because they were dressed down as it was casual Friday. They seemed to be more interested about the whole process compared to the Enterprise interviewer. To make a long story not too long, they want me to come back sometime next week to meet with the big cheese. Also, certain key phrases were mentioned to me like I already had the position. Such as:

salary
    PTO
    benefits
    work schedule
    training period

Also, no mention of the dreaded phrase, "we are currently reviewing other candidates". Overall, I felt confident that the process went well and that I look forward to next week. If I do land this position, I will party like its 1999.

floydarogers

granthr

Way to go!! Glad to hear the hopeful news. All the best!!

Brian A

We're all cheering for ya, man.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What he said!

Amen to the "good luck, best wishes" comments. You have a whole slew of us out here bringing on early arthritis---okay, sot so early in my case!---by crossing our fingers, our toes, our---well, all our prehensile appendages!

:D :D :D

dms540i

I'm feeling it.You're in.

drummerfc

Upwards of 12,300 views and 207 replies to this thread...you've EARNED it my man! Good luck...

Autohaus guest

Thank you my brothers from another mother. I'm being careful as I hope I don't get ahead of myself here. As usual I'm applying to xx jobs everyday so I hope to land another interview next week as well. If I do get hired I will explain all details about the position. Just another note, I was interviewed for a good hour, while my last interview with Enterprise was only 15 minutes :rolleyes:

tiFreak

sounds like a good sign if they interviewed you for an hour, hope you get the job

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, it's Tuesday. . .

. . . we're waiting. . . .

Autohaus guest

And the waiting will continue my friend.

So I met with the big cheese of the Fishkill office for about 40 minutes today. Out of that 40 minute meeting I only got a chance to speak for about 45 seconds. She gave me the run down of the claims adjuster position, how quickly I can move up the salary ranks, etc... She did go out of her way and mention that the two interviewers who I met with last Friday gave rave reviews about me so that made me feel good.

However, she then mentioned this, "We have two positions and have narrowed it down to five (5) candidates. As the Thanksgiving holiday is approaching it would be too early to begin a training program. Expect to hear a decision after Thanksgiving."

The jury rests...............

EDIT: While I was at the second interview, I got a voicemail from a company out at Stewart International Airport for a position that I applied last week. Promise you guys won't laugh. The position is "Aircraft cleaning tech." I called back but got a voicemail so I left a message. Hey, at least I'm getting calls, ya know?

az3579

You could spice that up, ya know...

:D

drummerfc

Just be sure you know where they keep the beer, and also how to locate the switch that activates the inflatable slide, just in case the passengers get on your last nerve...:cool:

Autohaus guest

Just another day from unwinding from a rough day up in the skies.

I spoke to the recruiter and he informed me that I was overqualified.

CRKrieger

Did you ask him, "Who ISN'T?" :cool:

dms540i

Tell her you don't need training so you'll take one of the two jobs right now - that way she'll only need to consider the other four the one other slot. And since you will do twice the work maybe she can forget about the other slot and look how profitable her department will be! Tell her you're ready to go, man!

bcweir

Might not be wise to skip the training.

I can understand the guy's enthusiasm in this ugly economic climate, but he might potentially do himself more harm than good by skipping the training -- especially if you don't know what the training covers.

Additionally, the company might incur legal liability if he unintentionally violates company procedures. Lots of orientation and legal liability matters are typically covered by initial training. So if the company trains and advises him, THEN he blows it on his own, the company is more likely to be off the hook when it comes to cleaning up the mess, than if he screws up because of something the company didn't tell him.

Again, I understand the desire to get out of the unfortunate predicament being experience by nearly 30 million other Americans, but let's not get his tail section tossed back out on the street before he has a chance to prove himself.

My somewhat cynical definition of 'overqualified' means: you're more than capable of doing the job, and we'd love to pay you EVEN LESS for doing it, but the government won't let us, so we're not going to let you have the job at all! :mad:

Autohaus guest

Also, employers think that an overqualified candidate would 'jump ship' if he or her were to find a better position shortly after hire.

On a side note Allstate recently reinstated the position on indeed.com. My wife thinks that maybe they didn't like the other four candidates and what to interview another set :confused: