Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got "Check Side Lights" Message - but can't change bulb

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by rdomingu24, Nov 24, 2009.

rdomingu24 guest

Hi guys. This is my first thread I guess that makes me a newbie. I just got a message on my 2003 e39 regarding
    "Check Side Lights". I found that the light that is burnt is a small lamp that is on the outer periphery of the passenger front head lamp assembly in the lower area of the yellow reflector. Thing is I can't get to it. I took it to my independent mechanic and he took out the whole front passenger lamp assembly and we still couldn't get to it. Short of undoing the screws on the lamp assembly and heat treating it to open it up, is there any other way to get to the bulb? or is this what I need to do? I saw a post here about upgrading to Xenon lights -- if any of you guys have done this can you tell me if there is indeed a bulb in this reflector that can be changed. I am attaching pictures.

any help is appreciated
    thanks

rdomingu24 guest

Angel Eyes lights side light

I got a reply from one of the techs at Vines Automotive. They tell me that the side light is actually linked via "fiber optics" to the same bulb that lights the angel eyes -- the part number is 63126904048. Thanks Martin.

az3579

Their answer is spot on. It wouldn't make sense to make a bulb completely inaccessible; it would be a rather stupid thing to do on BMW's part.

Glad you got that figured out. :)