Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got a flat on Conti DWS

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by pyao88, Feb 1, 2011.

pyao88

after a month of installation, about 1,000 miles. I hit a hot hole and side wall tore.
    Initially I used green goo but it didn't work and that's when I noticed the side wall tore because some of the green goo showed. This was at night so it was hard to see.

Luckily I was only 2-3 miles from home and was able to tape it, pump some air and limp home.

Going to get the tire replaced (with the same) tomorrow, but this has me worried about relying just on green goo since pot hole damage will tear the side wall so I am looking for a compact spare as insurance. Any links would be helpful.

I also looked at the TireRack's full wheel but I don't know if the offsets matter.
    It's 225/45-17 on 2006 330xi without sports package.
    I would prefer to go with the compact spare. AAA can help to replace that right?

Thanks again.

MGarrison

Offset does matter, you want a correct fitment for the car or you could have clearance and/or rubbing issues. Worse case, the wheel wouldn't even bolt up.

If you have Triple A, wouldn't it be better to get the car towed than risk damage to your wheel? Check your replacement cost, but an oem wheel on a new car could likely only be sourced from the dealer, and could be really expensive - as in maybe as low as $500/whl, but maybe up to more than $1k/whl, depending on what you have. Your insurance might cover such a thing, but they could just as easily argue that it was obvious the wheel shouldn't have been driven any more distance than you have already. If your dealer or whoever has the tire is not some ridiculous distance, get it flatbedded. If they have the tire already, maybe you could get a ride there w/ the tow driver.

Good luck however it goes!

pyao88

You are right last time I had the wheel replaced at BMW Dealer (cited crack causing air leak) was $500...

mrglock

Bavauto.com has a spare.

(click to see more)
    Emergency Spare Tire Kit
    This kit includes one steel wheel with 125/80/17 tire, a BMW OEM jack, and lug wrench. ... more info...
    Part # : E90 SPARE KIT
    Shipping Exception $ 334.95

pyao88

pyao88

330xi 2006 front brake pads

Got OEM from dealer with 20% off BMWCCA membership = $107.41 before tax.
    Indepedent mechanic installed for $89 plus brake sensor $24.