Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Golf cart in the garage

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 109941, Aug 28, 2010.

Well, these things do happen. My shared community property now includes a Prius which replaced a Subaru Forester. The mileage is good, the hatch accommodates the prerequisite stand-up base and the dealership actually gave a good deal (a bit more than 10% off of MSRP, no destination charge and full-market value on the trade). And, the thing is pretty dawn quiet. In fact, it's so quiet, a state trooper had to tell me how fast I was driving when I was only 10-minutes into my first drive. The old Subaru made lots of noise on those grocery and hardware store runs.

We'll see how this goes. It's not bad, but it's also not inspiring.

The biggest issue to arise is that the golf cart is both newer and more valuable than the 5 or the 3 and, therefore, a member of the family feels that the golf cart should occupy a space in the garage vs the car port. It's not going to be happy situation.

Wish me well.

az3579

Golf cart? Garage? No.
    The Bimmers get priority. The 'yota will go forever, regardless of how much it gets beaten and/or abused. The Bimmers, not so much; they need more "protection" (not to mention that they're a lot more worth keeping in good shape to provide years of driving entertainment!).

I'll be honest with you though; you could've done better. I still have a lot more faith in diesels than hybrids. Perhaps a few mpg off, a Jetta TDI for example, is still cheaper to buy, looks better, is faster (when you want it to be), and won't accelerate on you without you wanting it to. And, best of all, comes with an available 6-speed manual transmission.

The TDI wagon is about 4~5K more and would have been more fun to drive. However, my local VW service isn't good and that was the deciding factor. My local Toyota service is also my BMW service.

granthr

You must live in State College! :D Yes Confers is a great place. I am a member of the frequent parts counter occupier. They all know me by name in there. :) I don't know if that is a good thing.

The Vdub place is better than before now that they have new ownership. Also there is a great independent in town for VWs. Peakes Auto Repair and he is about 100 yards from Confers.

Anyway, golf carts are made to be left outdoors. It won't be long till it is worth less than the two BMWs.

I've been treated well by the service department at Confer's, although many of my vehicles were purchased elsewhere.

Relative to the value of the golf cart, I've had two unsolicited offers on my faded 91 Toyota pick-up within the last two weeks. That's never happened with any of my Bimmers. In my experience, people will come out of the woodwork to buy a Toyota.

granthr

Old Toyota pick-ups/4runners do have a strong following. They are the exception, not the rule. In 20 years I don't think you will find the same with your Prius. (spelling?)

Ya know, there's these folks waving like crazy. I was surprised.

az3579

Eh? I just checked the site... the base TDI starts at only $30 more than the base Prius... ?
    Comparing options, it costs that much more?

Regardless, enjoy your golfing expeditions. :)