Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Gas Pedal Knee?

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by arkay1021, Feb 7, 2016.

arkay1021

Hello. I am new to this forum. I bought a certified pre owned 535d 6 months ago. Lots of issues, but that's a tale for another day. More important, I just drove RT from our Colorado home to California. The car was fine, my knee is not. I developed very sharp pain and weakness on the inside of my right knee. This has persisted (though diminished) for months. My wife too had transitory pain in the same area. I have owned 5 BMWs - from 2002, to Bavarias, to 335 and never had a problem. It feels like the position of the gas pedal is too far from the center of the driver's seat. Anyone else out there dealing with this? Any fixes? Many thanks.

charlson89

Welcome to the club and forums! Can't say I have run into this issue.
    • Staff

steven s

I don't think it's the pedal but your seat position.
    I used to develop cramps in my leg driving for just an hour.
    It took some time to adjust the seat to where I could drive comfortably.

MGarrison

Everyone's different of course - my observation, at least for my E92, I think the center console area is narrower, so leaning my driving leg against the center console for long road trips so the foot's perched over the gas pedal at the ready (I use cruise control for open highway cruising but obviously you have to keep your foot ready for emergency braking), is not as comfortably done as in say, the narrower E30, or E34. Try fiddling with seat position and note your leg position - I'd suggest trying to keep your right foot relatively vertical, which, maybe, might alleviate stress on the knee, on the assumption you might have your knee jinked somewhat over or kinked to the side. What I find comfortable for long road trips is the seat lowered, and level, as much as possible. Even with the E92 sport seats lowered and flat as possible, there's still a bit too much seat bottom rake, for a long highway trip I'll use a seat cushion for a more level seating position. Keeping the right leg extended and in a comfortable position, my highway cruising seat position means the seat is always farther back and flatter than every-day, shorter trip driving position.

My pickup is a slight nuisance in that aspect of long trip seating comfort - the center console and trans tunnel in relation to the gas pedal just doesn't really allow to lean the right leg against the console so it can be in position, but also extended and relaxed.

Now, if your wife didn't do any driving, it would be odd that she'd get the same thing, since the passenger has more flexibility to move, shift about, and change seating positions and move the seat around. If she did, then that would really take some puzzling about the seats and trying to find comfortable seating positions.

Hope that helps. and that you can work things out & get outta pain!