Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

fuel filler door

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by AJWhite, Jun 4, 2009.

AJWhite

Car is a (2000) 540i Sport, cannot seem to lock the fuel filler door. It used to open when the car was unlocked, then lock back up when the car was locked.

I did have the central locking unit replaced several months back, as the unit had failed.

Do I need to re-set the system to get my fuel filler door to lock?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the great resource.

M3Driver guest

Hmmm...I wonder if that is somehow controlled by the keyfob since it also controls the locks on the doors and, when you lock the doors, the fuel door locks too. You might call your local dealer and ask them. If they replaced the unit and that is the case, they should reprogram your key gratis.

cheers...

AJWhite

Will try and give them a call. Not much in the owners manual. I tried to locate the manual release for the fuel door and had trouble finding it. I figured if it was manually released and maybe fiddled with, I could manage an easy fix...

M3Driver guest

One thing you might try is stand outside around the filler door and unlock the car. I'm thinking you should hear some type of audible click (or some type of mechanical noise) from the filler door area as it releases the lock for it. Seems like I remember that from our '00 528i when we had it.

AJWhite

I have checked and can't hear anything. It is just not locking.

Now it seems my coolant is overheating, and low, with some kind of leak.

I know the radiator has been replaced in the past...Looks like "fun" ahead.

M3Driver guest

Bummer....:mad: Oh well, things seem happen in tandem sometimes.

Let us know what happens with locking issue.

cheers...

AJWhite

Car has been at dealer for over a week. Almost no updates except that valley pan gasket has leak. Will replace the water pump and belts. Also asked about fuel filler door. They seem to be very short on help. I may be making some calls to the tech advisers and BMW NA about lack of call backs and information on repairs that may reach $1,500 plus. Not very impressive this time around for this dealer experience.

AJWhite

Fuel filler door was not working because of blown fuse and a bad actuator. A $150 job total.

Coolant leak was the valley pan gasket. Got the water pump replaced as well. It lasted 88k miles...I feel a little lucky.

Total costs $1597....

M3Driver guest

You're right about that. Most of them went south before then. We got 92k out of ours when it went.

All's well that ends well.....:)