Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Fuel/Air ratio gauge

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by Bruce Henry, Aug 7, 2014.

Bruce Henry

Hi Rob,

I read an article in the latest Roundel about your travels with your Tii. You mentioned an Air/Fuel gauge on the dash of your Tii. I would like to put one in my Tii also. Could you tell me where to purchase one and how to hook it up?

Bruce Henry

Bruce, there are many threads on this on bmw2002faq. Here's one:

Here's another that links to a bunch of other posts:

Basically, an afm gauge uses an ultra wide exhaust gas (UEGO) oxygen sensor that has to be mounted in the exhaust manifold or headpipe, connected to a gauge. Typically you need to:

--Remove the headpipe
    --Drill a hole to receive a threaded bung
    --Have the bung welded in place
    --Reinstall the headpipe
    --Install the UEGO O2 sensor in the bung
    --Install the gauge in the dash
    --Install the wiring harness (not a trivial task, as some of it has to go through the firewall somewhere)

I and other folks like the AEM 30-5130B because it's analog and doesn't look out of place on a vintage dashboard, but there are many choices.

There's, I believe, one sensor that telemeters its data to an iPhone so you don't need to run a wiring harness and install a gauge at all.