Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Front Control Arm Bushings 05 325ci

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by asanly, Jan 26, 2010.

asanly guest

John in VA

asanly guest

Thanks John,

will check on that site

asanly guest

replace control arms

Hi John,

Did you have to replace the whole control arms after you replace the bushings few months or a year later because ball joints worn out ?
    The mechanic recommend us to replace the whole control arms and bushings because he said the ball joints are OK right now but will soon wear out. These are are problematic for 99 on,

Thanks
    Rocky

John in VA

It was determined that just the bushings were bad on our car with 60K miles. The ball joints were good at that time (this past Nov), so I will replace the entire control arm in another 60K miles (hopefully!). It may hold up as my wife is the primary driver of this car, ~10 miles/day on suburban streets.

John in VA

It was determined that just the bushings were bad on our car with 60K miles. The ball joints were good at that time (this past Nov), so I will replace the entire control arm in another 60K miles (hopefully!). It may hold up as my wife is the primary driver of this car, ~10 miles/day on suburban streets.
    I watched a few members replace the entire control arms + bushings on their E46s at our club's DIY tech sessions. The most difficult thing was reaching one of the bolts via the engine compartment - took a few extensions. Our club has the proper bushing removal tool which also helps. Then an alignment is performed by the event-sponsoring shop.

asanly guest

John,
    Thanks for the info.
    I tried search on youtube only found clips showing to replace the bushings but could not find any clip showing replace the entire front lower control arm.
    Did any of your club members happened recorded and posted in any sites ?
    Thanks
    Rocky&Asanly

John in VA

asanly guest

Great info,

thanks
    R&A