Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

flywheel

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Hot 540, Oct 1, 2008.

Hot 540 guest

Can anyone tell me if having flywheel resurfaced on 99 540i is a bad thing to do?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

If it is a dual mass flywheel (not sure) you will have a difficult time finding a machine shop that can do it. If you can find a machine shop or it is a single mass flywheel, by all means get it resurfaced. Otherwise, you must replace it if the surface is damaged. I may catch hell for this but you can take a surface prep disc on an air die grinder and just scuff it up a little if it is glazed. Also, don't double post the same question.

Hot 540 guest

pilot bearing

Thank you....for your advice and im sorry...no more double post...I did find a machine shop and im happy with work.

Im almost ready to put it all together (Cluth kit) but i need to replace pilot bearing and i know there is a special tool to do this with that i dont have...Is there another way to remove this item....

mooseheadm5

I am not familiar with this particular car, but every BMW I have seen is the same. Usually we use a slide hammer with a bearing puller. Another way is to force it out with hydraulic pressure. This way gets messy but here it is:
    Fill the area behind the bearing with grease. I mean fill it so there is no air. Take a perfectly sized drift and put it in the hole. Hit the drift and watch out. The grease cannot compress, so it will push the bearing out and probably spatter grease everywhere. Enjoy the cleanup.
    You might be able to borrow or rent the slide hammer. Check your local Auto Zone or other store for their tool loan program.

Hot 540 guest

Thanks again....Im working on 1999 540i 6speed. It has 58,000 miles would you recommend replacing pilot bearing?

mooseheadm5

It will not need it, but to not replace it when you are there is somewhat foolish. One word of advice, if you are going to try to replace it, go all the way through with it. Otherwise you may screw around and damage it then give up and end up pulling the trans again. If you don't really feel like messing with it, don't. I will say that my 327 is on the original clutch parts after 260k, but many of those miles are highway, so the pilot bearing and the release bearing have not been used much. It may last the rest of the life of the car, but it is up to you.

Hot 540 guest

Thanks ...I will keep you posted

Hot 540 guest

Bearing was removed....Auto zone tool rental did the job...Nice.......Thanks