Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Floor Pans Needed (not for the faint of heart)

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Supertim, Nov 18, 2012.

Supertim

Hello,

I am in desperate need of an E30 floor panel (driver side). The local junk yards suffer from rust problems even worse than mine, and I was hoping to avoid plain sheet metal because I would have to fab a gas pedal clip and I'm not sure how to go about it.

Before cleanup:
    [IMG]

After cleanup (note how everywhere that didn't have rust is now much dirtier haha):
    [IMG]

Closeup under the gas pedal (rear clip is completely gone):
    [IMG]

Closeup of the little round plug area to the left of the gas pedal hole:
    [IMG]

Please tell me where I can find the replacement panels, I am pretty desperate. Also, I do have contacts in Germany if that's my only option, but I would rather not hassle my grandpa :(

charlson89

Sad to say but I don't believe they make floor pan replacement. Most guys on the forums have been making there own out of sheet metal. The gas pedal clip will also have to be fabricated there are a lot of right ups on this out there on the e30 forums I would suggest looking around there are some pretty inventive ways to make that clip.

Supertim

Aw :( shame. I've been researching this subject for some time but I never saw any examples of fabricated mounts. Since you mentioned it, I tried doing an elaborate search and found this:

tpbracket.jpg

Seems clever, I can definitely whip up something similar but how would you mount it? Welding is not an option because the metal will warp, especially with the pedal still inside - guaranteed damage. Also, I don't see how the pedal will have any flex in it to allow one to press it, I suspect it will just break off.

Screwing it into floor panel seems like the only option but will require some work to ensure that water will not enter and rust everything out.

Charlson, I know how to google but maybe I didn't see what you saw - could you please point me toward something?

Thanks for looking!

charlson89

Actually thats the best one I have seen yet. I would recommend using rivets if you think welding it would damage it. Then once it is on I would use some sort of sealer on the rivets on inside and then coat the body underneath with some sealer paint, I have personally used herculiner on some of my past projects and it really does a great job of sealing and preventing future rust.

Supertim

Gotcha, I hate to rattle on about the same subject but how do you think it will behave when pressing the pedal? This particular solution doesn't look like it give any flex to press the pedal down, unless you press hard enough to rip out the rivets.

charlson89

If the pedal has a good pivot point at the bottom then it shouldn't really change the feel of the pedal. And you would have to press really really hard to rip those rivets out.

MGarrison

Have you gotten a good look at the rest of the underside of the car? If you have lots and lots of structural rust, I'm wondering if finding a cleaner shell might be a better proposition to get Humpty-Dumpty back up to par - just a thought.