Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

First e46 MY 2002 325i Touring - Press Car?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by eblue540, Dec 18, 2011.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

So I looked at my VIN number recently and noted that it had a nice round 15001 for the last five digits. "Interesting..." I thought. "I wonder if that number means anything special, with all those zeros in it 'n all...". So, I got some help from some forum experts and found out that my car was built just a few days into the month of August in 2001. The car with the VIN just before mine, number 15000, was built in late March of the same year. So I'm thinking that my car was indeed the first one built on that line, or in that factory, for model year 2002.

So as I looked at the build details that the internet burped up on my car, the last two line items are adding to my curiosity. One of them says: "902 Special check press vehicles", the other is "986 deadline check". So, now I'm figuring that this car, as the first off the line, maybe went into the BMW NA press fleet. Now I know that does not mean that my touring made it into any center spread photos in any national magazines - it may never have had its picture taken or been driven by any big name auto-journalists. But could it have been? Now I wonder if I can find something like this out.

So, my question to the assmbled experts is, would BMW NA have any record of the car or would anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

The car is a Sport Package 325i Touring 5-speed in Grey Green, with a black and tan two tone sport seat interior treatment, and most every available option.

MGarrison

Don't know Chris, but since it's an intriguing possibility, sounds worthwhile to check it out. I'd say call the national office and see if they have a reference to somebody in BMW NA for you. I think we have a long-time club member who works for BMW NA, Rob Mitchell?

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Thanks for your response. Who should I call at BMWCCA National, anyone in particular?

I appreciate the lead!

MGarrison

I would think whoever picks up the phone will get an answer or direct you to whomever might, it's not quite like calling the world headquarters of IBM. Frank Patek is the national director, you might see if he has a suggestion or can get you to Rob Mitchell.