Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

final stage resistor

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Swooz, Apr 8, 2008.

Swooz

I was just told I need to replace a final stage resistor to get my blower working properly again. I have very little technical know-how so I'm wondering whether I should even attempt, or just find a reputable repair shop. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Scott

What year and model do you have?

Rob88iX guest

I depends on the thickness of your wallet.I think a shop charges something like 4 hours to do it. It is not technically difficult at all, but physically and emotionally no fun (until you are done and realize you saved yourself ~$400).

Step-by-step process can be found on E46 fanatics.

Rob

Swooz

I have a 2002 325i sedan.

Scott

It's a little more involved with a 3 Series than a 5 Series, but still a do-it-yourself job with a significant cost savings over having a dealer do it. It involves removing the glove box and working around some ducting to get at the resistor. As Rob mentioned, here is a thread with instructions for an E46:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=256286&highlight=final stage resistor

If you're concerned about being able to do the job, perhaps your chapter has an e-mail list or forum where you could ask for some help. Many chapters have members willing to help out on DIY jobs, depending on your geographic situation.

bradley01 guest

Swooz, I would first recommend getting a Bentley manual. That thing sure comes in handy. It has pictures and step-by-step instructions for lots of things! A great investment! I would check amazon for some great deals!